Skype microphone muted

Red Ed 09:08 27 Apr 2007

When making a skype call my microphone is muted - and there appears to be no way of un-muting it. Does anyone know how to do this in Vista?

Thanks!

anskyber 09:12 27 Apr 2007

Have you tried in Skype first,

Tools, options, Sound devices and activated the microphone from there?

anskyber 09:15 27 Apr 2007

If that is OK, in Vista go to Control Panel,Hardware and Sound, Sound, choose recording tab and select your microphone.

Red Ed 10:46 27 Apr 2007

Thanks - I have already tried both those ideas without any success although in the Control Panel it says my microphone is working!

I have also just run a test with the Sound Recorder but nothing was captured.

I was reading some other comments on the web about buying a microphone that is specifically Vista compatible....??

anskyber 11:26 27 Apr 2007

Not sure about that. I use a Logitech desktop mic and it worked fine as a simple plug and play device following my Vista upgrade install.

I assume your audio is working OK otherwise?

anskyber 12:11 27 Apr 2007

As a futher thought have you looked in device manager to see if there are issues?

Red Ed 16:03 27 Apr 2007

All other audio is fine and there are no device manager issues that I can see.

I have a new Dell Inspiron laptop pre-installed with Vista Business. But it does not like my old mic nor the new headset I bought last week!

If a Logitech desktop mic works for you I will go out and get one.

Cheers Ed

anskyber 16:09 27 Apr 2007

This is the one I have click here but I see from ther web site they do another for half the price.

Quiet Life 00:33 03 May 2007

Skype test call did not hear my microphone until I turned up the boost.
Control Panel>Sound>Rightclickon microphone>properties>Levels>increase mic.boost
My mic. is sixyears old and works fine now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?