simpletech simple drive 250gb drive

brianp65 10:16 18 Sep 2013

Hi. I have an external drive Simple Tech, Simple Drive model 96300-41001-011 which i have not used in a while. it should have the drivers built in but when i plug it in it runs but does not appear . Simple Drive does not appear in COmputer. I plug it into my Sony G11VN pc running Vista Business sp2. The usual window pops up “windows needs to install driver software for your Simple Drive” – I click “locate and install driver software” but it does not find it. I have looked for the driver on the site of Simple Tech which is now www.hgst.com but I can’t find it.

Have tried to plug into MacBook which also runs windows with no luck.

Any ideas? Where can I find the driver?

brianp65 11:32 18 Sep 2013

thanks for reply Jock1e. no it does not appear in my computer and yes there is a yellow ! in devise manager. i have tried updating driver but it can't find the the driver and have tried disabling/enabling and also uninstall/reinstall. no luck. aslo does not appear in Disk Management

brianp65 13:31 18 Sep 2013

i have a feeling that the drive is not compatible with Vista. I just remembered that I used to use it with an old Toshiba pc with windows ME, which i still have. have tried it and it works. oh well!! thanks anyway for your help.

brianp65 17:48 18 Sep 2013

i had already tried formatting on the ME pc. still not appearing on Vista PC. no problem. the latest driver i can find is for XP

jaywoo 19:11 18 Sep 2013

It shouldn't need any drivers for Vista, Windows Compatibility Centre says those drives work all the way up to Windows 8.1

Here are some troubleshooting steps; click here you have it plugged in to the mains or are you relying on USB power alone?

Do

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Intel Coffee Lake release date and specifications

12 Amazing British Craft Beer Label Designs

watchOS 4 review

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017