Side By Side Configuration Error when Opening Word 2007

Dr.Llama 07:03 24 Jul 2014
Answered

I have encountered a very stressful problem, whenever I attempt to open Word (2007), or Excel I get an error message which says:

"The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log for more detail."

I have been combing forums for the past 12 hours and have attempted several suggested fixes, to no avail. Such as those suggested:

click here attempted system restore was not successful (the restore actually failed and the restore point was not far enough in the past to pre-date the problem).

I attempted to run an sfc scan was suggested in one form (to another user), but this failed at ~70%.

Any help would be much appreciated as this has consumed my entire day!

Thank you in advance.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/officeversionother-officeinstall/word-2007-will-not-open-it-says-the-side-by-side/5cf5bc15-8ab8-470b-bb99-df26bade6e4f

An

BRYNIT 13:01 24 Jul 2014
Answer

Don't know if this will help CLICK HERE

Dr.Llama 17:53 24 Jul 2014

[MechKB 2] Thank you both for the prompt replies. I am using Vista. I am in the process of re-installing Office 2007, however the first attempt I made at doing this was unsuccessful for some unknown reason. Giving it a second go now, which just failed while I was typing this, stating:

"Microsoft Enterprise 2007 uninstall did not complete successfully"

In case this helps, Even Viewer states the following:

"MMC could not create the snap-in. The Snap-in might not have been installed correctly.

Name: Event Viewer CLSID: FX:{b05566ad-fe9c-be05-7a4cbb7cb510}"

BRYNIT

I'm going to try this out next and see how it works. Thank you for the recomendation.

Dr.Llama 18:34 24 Jul 2014

BRTNIT,

I was hesitant to mess about with registry keys but after trying everything else to no avail I followed the instructions you posted and it worked so far as I can tell perfectly! Thank you both so much for the help, I was seriously at the end of my tether and was about to go buy a new computer!

Waves of positive vibes and thanks to you!

Dr. Llama!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?