Shutting down problems

taffhughes 19:07 26 Dec 2007

Hi every one

I have a 3 month old Toshiba laptop (came preloaded with Vista home premium ) which for that last couple of weeks has re started automatically every time I shutdown.
I have googled this and tried every tip I can find (turning off auto re start etc) but to no avail.

The only way to shut it down and for it to stay off is to hold the power button.

I think this happened after a windows update

anskyber 21:58 26 Dec 2007

From the start button do you use the "on /off button" or do you use the arrow to the right of it and then choose shut down?

Have you recently changed you power saving options?

tullie 06:10 27 Dec 2007

Thats odd,theres no off button on mine,only a button to put computer in a low power state,and then of course the arrow for turning off etc.

anskyber 07:35 27 Dec 2007

Yes, but it can be made to shut down by altering the power management settings. click here

taffhughes 20:10 27 Dec 2007

Tullie

Yes I have already altered my power management settings to turn the low states button into an off button

I have found that if the Laptop is only running on battery then it shuts down fine but if it is connected to the mains (on charge)then it will re start

taffhughes 20:12 27 Dec 2007

I have reset all power management settings to default
I have even flashed the bios with the most updated version that I can get off Toshiba web site

anskyber 20:15 27 Dec 2007

You have answered your own question, you have to set the computer to shut down for battery AND mains separately. click here

taffhughes 14:19 29 Dec 2007

anskybe
I tried that but it still did not shut down

as i mentioned before I even put if back o default settings but til it will only shut down properly by unplugging he power lead first

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from Petya?

Microsoft Surface Studio – the artist's hands-on review

Original iPhone review

Comment mettre à jour Kodi ?