Sharing drive/folders from Win7 Pro to XP Pro

Gary Wood 22:01 04 Jan 2010

I have a Windows XP Pro SP3 computer and a Windows 7 Professional computer on a network, but am getting very frustrated trying to set up file sharing.

My Win7 computer can see the hard drives of my XP machine, and has full access to them. However, I cannot get my Windows 7 to let me access it's drives from Windows XP.

I have a user account with the same name and password on each computer. On the XP machine, when I go to add a network place, I don't get any errors adding the place at all (as \\computername\d$), and the icon for it appears in My Network places. But, when I click on it to access it, I get an error message saying I don't have permission.

I've checked the permissions on the drive/folders I am trying to access and it is set to allow Administrators (which I am) full access. I've tried adding a specific entry for my username with full access in the security settings for the drive on the Win7 machine, but this doesn't work either.

The only way I've been able to get it to work so far is to add "Everyone" to the security settings and give that group full control. But I don't want to do this: there are other users on my network who should not have full access.

This all worked fine between XP machines, and the settings are all configured the same as far as I can see.

Can anyone help me, please?

Thanks,

Gary

BurrWalnut 08:59 05 Jan 2010

As you don’t want to use ‘Everyone’, have you tried turning off simple file sharing?

If not, try it in Folder Options > View Tab > Advanced Settings at the end.

Gary Wood 11:35 05 Jan 2010

Thanks for your reply, BurrWalnut.

However, I have already turned of the "File sharing wizard", but it doesn't seem to make any difference.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

This is what design agencies will look like in 2032

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache