Services.msc - Software Licensing & Control Panel

lisa02 09:44 05 Feb 2008

Everytime I boot the computer I can't get into Control, system properties and also when I right click the desktop and choose personalise nothing happens.

I have learned a work around from Googling for this problem that is Start> Run type services.msc

Stop SL UI Notification and then Software Licensing

(SL UI Notification is already on manual on mine so I just stop and start Software Licensing)

it may warn about Ready Boost but do it anyway.

Then restart the two services.

Hey presto... Control Panel stays open!

My question is why does it happen and why do I have to do this? I cannot find the answer by searching the Net, I've been trying for a few days.

OS is Vista HP

brundle 10:35 05 Feb 2008

Does System also fail to appear if you go to start/run and type

sysdm.cpl

?

lisa02 10:43 05 Feb 2008

It appears.

I still have to do my solution above to get Control Panel to stay open and for when I right click the desktop and choose personalise to work.

skoots76 18:33 08 Feb 2008

Ive been using the same work around as I have the same problem. Sorry I cant be of help I just wanted to jump on this thread. I was told from my IT department at work just to wait for a patch or the sp1? I'm new to all this so any help would be great.
Regards Ian

lisa02 18:39 08 Feb 2008

No problem. Hopefully me posting the workaround here will help others til MS can do something in an update like you say.

Lisa.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?