seems slow, is it my system?

[email protected] 13:40 28 Feb 2007

hi, i have got a hp home/ vista home premium dual boot, since i installed vista most my games seem a lot slower, i put a new cpu in today and its lightning fast with ex, and vista, well its like xp was before the cpu upgrade!
have i missed something in my upgrade?
should i give it time for drivers etc to remedy?
use xp?

i have all latest drivers, i have removed nis 2007 and installed avg, latest nv drivers and it seems bloated and sluggish, not while surfing, but if im playing a game and some thing updates, i never had these problems with xp,
any advise for a newbie?
thanks adam
amd athlon 5200x2
2 gb ddr2 533 ram
3x 7200 rpm hdd
gt7600gt
vista score
cpu 5.2
ram 5.5
grx 5.9
hdd 5.4

[email protected] 13:40 28 Feb 2007

seem to have problems typing xp also

Totally-braindead 14:00 28 Feb 2007

It is my understanding from benchmarks in the latest PCA magazine that there is a slight hit in using Vista in that scores are a bit lower.
Don't have the mag to hand at the moment but it may be that you are experiencing.

[email protected] 14:18 28 Feb 2007

till this morning my score was 4.2, and its not painfully slow, im just starting to wonder, why exactly im using it, i bought it because i thought i would have to someday, but i cant see anything on vista that i would miss, so why does it seem to use so much resources, for little or no advantage?

[email protected] 23:45 28 Feb 2007

having mentioned my problems to colleagues, it seems im not alone, will tick this as resolved and got back to xp

Jimmy14 23:59 28 Feb 2007

When I started using Vista a few weeks back I used it in a dual boot with XP Home Edition. Now I have removed XP and prefer Vista. It is very fast on my laptop and I have updated everything on it from drivers, program updates and windows updates. I done the same on xp and have ran both operating systems flawlessly. The specification of my laptop is no power machine but is fairly good.

[email protected] 00:30 01 Mar 2007

thanks jimmy, i just dont see the point of upgrading my machine to make it faster, then paying over £200 to make it slower, i will keep vista on sytem, as i would like to get used to it, i dont really know what i was expecting from it, i guess all my programs were written for xp, and as programs are written for vista things will change. but havnt m/s just extended support for xp and isnt vienna meant to be out in 2/3 years?
i suppose thats why im enjoying my pc, evrythings out of date before you've fitted it! always something to change, of all the bits i have upgraded/ changed, vista is the only dissapointment so far, maybe that will change, or maybe its just not the best o/s for my use of the pc.
thanks for reply
adam

Jimmy14 16:05 01 Mar 2007

"evrythings out of date before you've fitted it!"

You're definitely right there. I bought a laptop in December 2005 and it was very good spec with Centrino, January 2006 came and centrino dual core came out:)) Bit disappointed. Maybe next time I buy one it will have core 2 duo mobile or whatevers there:))

pk46 16:37 01 Mar 2007

Have you used a registry cleaner?? sounds like yours could do with a clean up.

[email protected] 17:38 01 Mar 2007

it was a clean 2 day old refresh install after reg mech6 messed it up, thanks for advice, have gone back to xp

007al 19:52 01 Mar 2007

Dont know if the AMD Dual-Core Optimizer works on Vista,but it sorted out the problem for games in XP.
click here if you havent tried it

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?