security --how much

User-994545 17:54 20 Dec 2007

a friend, after a couple of freezes and crashes,was told that she had to many security programs,conflicting with VISTA HOME,s inbuilt security she had,avg,ashapoo, After a reboot,she is now just running spybot and ccleaner,Is this enough ? can these and other downloads mess up your computer,they work fine on xp but i dont know about vista

anskyber 18:00 20 Dec 2007

AVG is fine. I'm not sure if she was trying to run Ashampoo with Defender but two real time programs can conflict.

I run the Defender antispyware (comes with Vista) Avast free anti virus and the Vista firewall which are all fine.

Scanners like spybot are fine but do ensure they are the Vista compliant versions. Superantispyware free is very good with Vista as a scanner. click here

User-994545 23:41 20 Dec 2007

thanks,anskyber,we,ll try that

i would agree keep things to a safe minimum, norton, kaspersky and eset suites all have had major problems after microsoft updates. i found a simplilar set up to anskybars worked the best, i used nod 32 2.7 av and windows defender and firewall.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?