Secure delete problem help appreciated!

andrew6451 12:25 21 Apr 2017
Answered

I would appreciate advice on my problem. As I am planning to sell my old computer I securely deleted the entire hard disk to Guttman standard using Boot & Nuke (overkill I know but I used the computer for banking) Then as a check I reloaded Windows from a Macrium backup and scanned for deleted files using Recuva. It found over 45,000 files of which about 5,000 were listed as excellent for recovery! Surely after secure delete it should not have found any? Or does my backup also copy deleted files and that is the source? I wasn't about to check out 5,000 files but I did find a music file which was playable. Any comments would be gratefully received. Cheers Andrew

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:06 21 Apr 2017
Answer

I reloaded Windows from a Macrium backup

effectively you reinstall a complete copy of the hard drive.

You need to boot and nuke again and install a new version of windows from scratch

Use boot media click here this is for 10 but its available for 7 or 8 although 7 require you to imput a serial key before download.

andrew6451 06:50 24 Apr 2017

Thanks! I see now what I should do. Cheers, Andrew

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?