Saving desktop items with SSD

rogermatthews 22:23 04 Aug 2014

Hi everyone - I'm building a new PC for my wife with the OS (Win 7) on a primary SSD and storage on a second normal hard drive - standard stuff.

However, my wife likes to save things frequently to the desktop - is there a way of redirecting anything saved in this way to the second hard drive automatically?

Thanks

Roger

BRYNIT 01:09 05 Aug 2014

You can only move it manually from the desktop.

You could however make a default file/folder on the second drive for all downloads to go into and create a shortcut to this folder from your desktop

In firefox if you select options, on the general tab you will see downloads, if you put a tick in "save files to" you can select a file/folder on any drive. If you go to the file/folder right click and select send to/Desktop (create short cut) this will create a shortcut allowing easy access to the file and downloads from the desktop.

In ie if you go to tools, view downloads, at the bottom left click on options you can select the default download folder

rogermatthews 06:47 05 Aug 2014

Thanks Brynit - I suspected that it wasn't possible. My wife will just have to get used to avoiding dumping videos, music, documents etc direct to the desktop!

Part of me is just obsessed with the lifespan issue of SSDs - probably not an issue. Maybe I should just install a 500gb SSD and let her do what she wants.

Cheers

Roger

alanrwood 10:02 05 Aug 2014

500GB SSDs are now available at around £160 so it might solve the problem

Secret-Squirrel 13:04 05 Aug 2014

"..is there a way of redirecting anything saved in this way to the second hard drive automatically?"

Yes there is.

Firstly, create a new folder to accommodate the Desktop files on the second hard drive. Go to C:\Users, double click your wife's user folder, right-click the "Desktop" icon, click the "Location" tab, click the "Move" button and set the target to be that new folder you created on your conventional hard drive.

rogermatthews 17:58 05 Aug 2014

Secret-Squirrel

Thanks for that, Secret-Squirrel, so simple I missed it (looking for something complex!) That's the answer, I'm very grateful.

alanrwood - you too have good advice, I've been pondering the same thing myself. I think I'll reserve that route for when I next build myself a PC. By that time, 1Tb SSDs will be affordable, and probably more durable - I note, for instance, that Samsung Pro series are guaranteed for 5 years.

Thanks to all

Roger

Secret-Squirrel 18:10 05 Aug 2014

Thanks for replying Roger.

In case you're not aware, you can do the same for some of the other "special folders" such as Downloads, My Documents, My Pictures, etc.

rogermatthews 18:21 05 Aug 2014

Yes, I've done exactly that for all my other files (on my PC) so everything else saves to the normal hard drive. I just didn't think to do that for desktop, particularly as I keep my desktop uncluttered.

Also, it's been a year since I set my PC up, so it has all faded from the memory!

Thanks again

Roger

alanrwood 09:15 06 Aug 2014

If this is the first time you have fitted an SSD there are several things to do to get best performance and reduce wear. If you want the details I can post them as I wrote it up a few weeks ago.

alanrwood 18:24 06 Aug 2014

Following advice regarding SSD installations if you want the best performance and long life.

""""""""""""""""""

SSD INSTALLATION Transfer the Operating System

Prepare the SSD – You first have to initialize the SSD to create the MBR. You can do that with Disk Management . Then you need to align the SSD and define an active partition on it. Use an elevated Command Prompt with the following commands:

Diskpart List disk Select disk n (where n is the number that was given for your SSD in List disk) Clean Create partition primary align=1024 Format fs=ntfs quick Active (assuming you want to install an OS) Exit

If you are more comfortable working with Disk Management, you can also define a primary active partition with Disk Management. On a SSD, the partition will be automatically aligned by 1024. If you want to verify that the alignment is correct, you use these commands: Diskpart List disk Select disk n List partition

You should see a result like this:

Partition ### Type Size Offset

Partition 1 Primary 59 GB 1024 KB - Any number divisible by 4 is good. In Windows7, you may have the 100MB active boot partition. The easiest way to deal with that is to move the bootmgr to the C: partition using EasyBCD. That you do on your HDD before you transfer anything to the SSD. Then you do not have to worry about it and you need only transfer the C: partition to the SSD. But if you care to keep the 100MB partition, then the partition you just created on the SSD is for that 100MB partition. The next step is to shrink the partition you just created to a 100MB size (make sure it is not any smaller). With Disk Management you will have trouble to do that. I recommend this program for the operation.

From the free space you gained, you create the C: partition for the OS. This partition must not be active and need not be a primary (because the 100MB partition contains the boot manager).

Alternatively and easier is if you first create the 100MB partition with these commands: Diskpart List disk Select disk n (where n is the number that was given for your SSD in List disk) Clean Create partition primary size=100 align=1024 Format fs=ntfs quick Active Exit

Note: The unit in the size parameter is MB

After this action you can use Disk Management to create the C partition from the remaining unallocated space. That can be a logical partition. If there is no 100MB partition, things are easy. The partition you created with Command Prompt will receive the C partition including boot manager and all.

There may be more partitions on your factory HDD – e.g., the Recovery partition and a Tools Partition. Those you should not transfer to the SSD because of space constraints. I would back them up – e.g., with an imaging program. The Recovery Partition you can also burn to DVDs. Set AHCI Mode Open Regedit from a Command Prompt and navigate to:- HKEYLOCALMACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\msahci

• In the right pane right-click Start in the Name column and then click Modify. • In the Value data box, type 0 [3 is default], and then click OK. • On the File menu, click Exit to close Registry Editor. • Restart your computer • Go to UEFI/BIOS and enable AHCI, Save & Reboot • Another restart will be required to finish the driver installation.

Enable TRIM • Check if TRIM is enabled • Open a Command Prompt. • Enter fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotify

This returns either 1 or 0. TRIM enabled returns a 0. • If TRIM is not enabled enter fsutil behaviour set DisableDeleteNotify 0 Recheck TRIM is enabled.

alanrwood 18:25 06 Aug 2014
  1. ther items too large to fit initial post.

Other Actions Disk Defragmentation - Defragmentation makes no sense on an SSD. For a laptop, go into Services, navigate to Disk Defragmenter, right click on it and go to Properties. Here you set the service to Disabled. For a desktop, you may want to disable defrag in the Disk Defragmenter and only for the SSD so that the remaining HDDs can still be defragmented. Note: As long as Defrag Service is turned off, you cannot shrink any partition. The partition shrink process requires the Defrag service. If you need to shrink a partition later, turn the Defragmentation Service temporarily on.

Hibernation File – most of us do not use Hibernation, but Sleep instead. But, the hiberfile takes precious space on your SSD – to the same tune as the size as your RAM. To disable it, run the following command in elevated Command Prompt: powercfg –h off. If you ever want it back, it is powercfg – h

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?