Safely Remove Hardware

prima12 07:23 03 Aug 2007

I have suddenly noticed (it may have been there before) the above item in my start up bar. When I click on it , it gives me the option to safely remove my main 'C' drive, surely this can't be right, is there any way to remove it from my start up bar or to remove the option of the 'C' drive removal? P.

Pine Man 08:25 03 Aug 2007

Have you just downloaded a windows update for your nForce Serial ATA controller.

It came out on 29th July and has that effect. I have emailed nVidia and they are looking into it.

prima12 13:29 03 Aug 2007

How right you are, I did download that the other night, I knew somebody would know the reason why. I presume that they may put out some sort of patch to rectify the problem. P.

Pine Man 08:17 04 Aug 2007

I have had a reply from nVidia who don't really know what the problem is.

They said that if I wasn't having any problems before I installed the update then I should remove it.

You do this by finding your IDE/SATA controller in Device Manager and 'rolling back the driver'.

Any probs get back to me.

prima12 10:16 04 Aug 2007

Pine Man
I did as you suggested and removed the 2 entries I had. I have had nothing but problems since. The PC is as sluggish as hell, takes an age, if at all to open any programs, or locks up altogether. Prior to all this IE and mail were so slow to open it's unbelievable, yet in safe mode as it is now, it opens up instantly. My taskbar at the bottom has changed colour and I can't get it back to the black taskbar as before, I'm starting to pull my hair out. P.

Pine Man 11:15 04 Aug 2007

Oh dear!

nVidia said remove the UPDATE.

I didn't say REMOVE the entries from Device Manager I said ROLL BACK the drivers in Device Manager.

Hopefully you should be able to recover from this by using System restore?

Let me know how you get on.

prima12 14:22 04 Aug 2007

I reinstalled the update and have the following,
which were the same as before I thought I was uninstalling the update.

In device manager I have the following entries under:-IDE ATA/ATAPI Controller
ATA Channel 0
ATA Channel 1
nVIDIA nFORCE Serial ATA Controller
nVIDIA nFORCE Serial ATA Controller
Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller
which of these should I have 'rolled back'

prima12 14:25 04 Aug 2007

I have also noticed that 'System Restore' has not been setup on this PC! P.

Pine Man 16:44 04 Aug 2007

Sorry been out shopping:-(

You should roll back the drivers on BOTH of the items ATA Channel 0 & ATA Channel 1.

Presumably you have now set System Restore?

Let me know how you get on!

prima12 17:42 04 Aug 2007

Hi Pine Man, it doesn't give me the option to 'Roll Back' on either of those items, it only gives me the option to 'disable', and yes I have now set System Restore. P.

Pine Man 18:07 04 Aug 2007

So by the sound of it you are stuck with the updated drivers, which give you the 'safely remove hardware' icon in the task bar all the time?

If this is the case do not worry. The option to 'safely remove' your C drive, I am reliably informed, will NOT actually allow you to remove it.

Some users report always having the icon in their task bar all the time even before the update to the drivers.

It maybe that when nVidia have looked into the matter they will provide a further update or declare that nothing is wrong.

If I hear or see anything I'll endeavout to let you know.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires