Safely Remove ?

EARLR 09:25 05 Sep 2010
Answered

Safely Remove option is not in contexts menu. How can i safely remove a external Hard Drive?

Thanks

T0SH 13:22 05 Sep 2010

Look for "Eject" maybe

Cheers HC

john bunyan 20:42 05 Sep 2010

I have mine plugged in to a handy socket, and turn it off before unplugging the USB.I acttually have two local sockets, the other for my speakers when not in use. If you have a laptop that powers the extenal HD, I am not so sure. Annoyingly not all external HD's have a built in on/ off switch

Pineman100 16:50 06 Sep 2010

My external hard drive doesn't appear in the "Safely Remove" list, and Windows Explorer doesn't offer an "Eject" option when I right-click on the drive.

I have therefore assumed that the drive can be safely removed without any such function - I've unplugged it lots of times without problems.

I use Windows 7.

BurrWalnut 19:16 06 Sep 2010

With the device plugged in, right-click Computer > Properties > Device Manager (in the left pane) to see if the drive appears under ‘Disk drives‘. If it does, right-click it > Properties > Policies Tab and check the box ‘Quick removal’. A USB ‘drive’ should have a check in this box. Restart the computer if you change anything. Internal hard disk drives use ‘Enable write caching on the disk’.

I suggest you always use the same port and don’t be too hasty in unplugging a device. Also, a common hardware problem is a bad connection caused by repeated off-angle insertions and removals. Where possible plug the device into an extension lead.

Unless you have changed the default, clicking the ‘Safely Remove’ icon for a USB device is not necessary providing you‘re careful. Close any Explorer window that is open and wait a few seconds for the device to finish writing data before unplugging it.

Pineman100 15:35 07 Sep 2010

Thanks BurrWalnut - good advice for EARLR and me.

EARLR 08:13 08 Sep 2010
Answer

I can power them down safely then.

BurrWalnut 08:24 08 Sep 2010

What I have always done (not on Win98 though), is to plug in or turn on the power first (if applicable) then plug in the USB lead, use the device, wait a few seconds to clear the write buffer, unplug the USB lead and finally unplug the power.

The important thing is to wait, say, 10 seconds before unplugging.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?