Runtime error on IE 7 - new Vista PC

StephShadow 22:20 03 Nov 2007

I’m asking this on behalf of a neighbour who has just bought a brand new Compaq Presario desktop with Vista Home Premium pre-installed. The PC spec includes 1GB ram and an MS office trial 2007 pre-installed.

We downloaded all the Vista windows updates (100mb) and installed them. The Defender anti-spyware gizmo is up-to-date. Firewall is on. We try using IE 7 and it keeps crashing (particularly quickly on Google searches) with a message something like:

“Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library, Runtime Error: Internet explorer has terminated in an unusual way, please contact the application's support team for more information”

Windows says it checks the problem, closes IE and then reopens it, only for it to fall over again after a few clicks.

Thinking that maybe a pre-installed (but not yet activated) free 60-day trial of Norton IS was the problem (well…..it blocks my own XP internet access when it wants to do live updates…), we activated Norton, completed all updates and still….. IE fell over.

I left them doing a (Norton) full system scan on a PC that’d hardly seen any action yet. I can’t see that solving the problem though. Any ideas much appreciated, Steph

StephShadow 22:28 03 Nov 2007

..my neighbour is considering contacting the retailer for help (Curry's). I have no idea if this is a good idea....

anskyber 12:14 04 Nov 2007

If the machine is that new, yes I would contact the retailer.

StephShadow 15:44 04 Nov 2007

well it seems to have sorted itself out, with the scan and probably another update last night. The PC was only unpacked and started up on Friday, so I'd give it a couple of days 'bedding in' time.

The thing about going back to the retailer, if the hardware works ok, then it's a software error and that's Microsoft. Do the Currys folks on the end of a national rate 0870 number really know enough about Vista to help out I wonder? I can imagine they'd say uninstall anything you've added (like the printer and the broadband router) and see if that helps. I've received unhelpful telephone support in the past, so it would be the last port of call (no pun intended) for me. Anyway, fingers crossed that an update has fixed it! thanks for your reply anskyber.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017