Restore Vista Premium to new C: Drive

bbredberg 03:26 13 Jan 2009

I have an HP machine that came with pre-installed Vista Home Premium. No discs provided. I made a set of recovery discs.

My C: drive crashed a few days ago. It looks like a hardware failure. I've tried several drive utilities and I've attached it as an external USB drive on my other (XP) computer. I can't get anything off it. I can see it, but it is not longer recognized as NTFS and none of the recovery tools I've tried have been successful.

I may get back to that later, but for now I've purchased a replacement drive for the computer and I need to know if I can restore Vista onto a new, out-of-the-box drive using my recovery discs.

If so, what's the process? If not, suggestions?

canarieslover 10:50 13 Jan 2009

Go into bios and set up to boot from CD and then try it. You should have your COA sticker on the case with the registration number on it. If it doesn't work you have lost nothing and will just have to get a new Windows disk. I'm not certain whether your COA will work if you borrow a Vista Home Premium disk, but bear that in mind as an alternative if things go wrong with recovery disks.

tullie 09:14 14 Jan 2009

You may not be able to as your recovery partition maybe on old hard drive.

thms 10:42 14 Jan 2009

Try here click here
Type in the name of your computer and type replace hard drive in the lower box.
You will be given a list of options on how to replace your drive and re-install o/s

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?