removing Norton security icon

Florio 21:12 01 Feb 2008

My Acer Aspire laptop 5105 (Vista Home Premium) came with 3 months antivirus protection from Norton. When this period came to an end I promptly removed Norton and installed an alternative program. I was just wondering how to remove the Norton icon which still appears whenever I open the 'set-up activity centre' (or whatever it's called in the English language version; I have the Italian edition) via the Control Panel. If I click on the Norton icon, I get a message saying that the file cannot be found, but it seems there is no way of deleting the icon itself.

brundle 23:57 01 Feb 2008

Look in the Programs And Features applet for any entries titled LiveUpdate or LiveReg and remove them. If you didn't use Norton Removal Tool when you uninstalled the first time, try it now; click here

Florio 08:47 02 Feb 2008

Thanks Brundle. I'd already tried all these measures, but the icon is still there. Could it be because Norton was originally part of the hidden partition?

Jake_027 10:53 02 Feb 2008

click here

Don't forget to back it up first like it says, setting a system restore point might be a good idea too.

Hope this helps

Florio 12:55 02 Feb 2008

Jake, I'm sure your solution is what I've been looking for. The only problem is that I cannot seem to remove the text in question (with the right button of the mouse, or with the delete key). Any ideas here?

Florio 13:07 02 Feb 2008

Further to my last message, I've noted that there are actually two .xml files in the Info folder: oobe.xml and office.xml. They seem to be identical. Should I edit both of them?

tullie 16:35 02 Feb 2008

Norton removal tool from Symantec

Florio 16:39 02 Feb 2008

I ended up removing completely both the oobe.xml and office.xml files, along with another file containing Symantec icons. Everything appears to be running smoothly, and all reference to Norton have disappeared. Then Norton removal tool does not remove everything, only the program itself.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?