Remove USB flash drive suddenly

Cosmoleo87 04:50 07 Aug 2014

Yesterday, my working USB drive was suddenly removed my little son. Through I had inserted it to computer immediately, this USB drive was still damaged somehow. The windows just told me that this USB flash drive had an error and needed to be formatted to continue. But, there are still some useful files and folders. Do you have any idea for me to rescue these USB flash drive files and folders? Is this USB flash drive still workable and reliable? Thanks!

onthelimit1 08:37 07 Aug 2014

If the dongle's chip was transmitting data when removed, the chip may have been fried. You could try the free version of Recuva from Piriform.

1]: [click here

wee eddie 10:41 07 Aug 2014

OTL: has skirted around the point.

It is more than likely that the USB Drive has been destroyed.

From what I have read, I think it unlikely that anything can be recovered but, as they say, "Nothing ventured, nothing gained", so give it a try.

onthelimit1 11:38 07 Aug 2014

Wee Eddie - I did say that the chip may have been fried - means destroyed to me! Nothing to be lost by trying recuva, however.

wee eddie 11:58 07 Aug 2014

OTL: Yeah, I did not mean to disagree with your posting, I just felt that you offered rather more hope of recovery than really existed.

onthelimit1 13:22 07 Aug 2014

We can all live in hope! At least it won't cost anything to try!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:37 07 Aug 2014

Won't be fried, it will be corrupted, a format will more than likely get it usable again.

However before formatting you need to try and recover data Recuva may work if it doesn't the something like testdisk (a lot more complicate to use) may do the job

wee eddie 13:44 11 Aug 2014

Derica has been a Member for a couple of hours and this is his first post - Could it be Spam?

FE told

lotvic 17:58 20 Aug 2014

SPAM from Phillip321 free version is very limited, you have to purchase full version.

Free version of Recuva is far better and trustworthy, as per Fruit Bat /\0/\'s post.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone