Remove IE 8?

Florio 21:53 30 Nov 2010

Just wondering how many forum members with Windows 7 are using browsers other than Internet Explorer 8? What are you using, and have you kept IE or removed it completely from your PC? I'm tempted to get rid of it, but wanted to hear some other opinions first.
Florio

Pine Man 09:47 01 Dec 2010

My main browser is Firefox but I also have Internet Explorer loaded.

I would keep IE as it's always handy to have an alternative if one fails to work or doesn't like a particular site.

I'm not actually sure that you can remove IE. You certainly couldn't with Vista and beyond.

Rob Gibson 10:30 01 Dec 2010

Hi,

I'm using Opera on Windows 7 (64 bit). No problems. Don't use IE, but have kept it on the machine "just in case".

Rob.

Pine Man 11:05 01 Dec 2010

If you are hell bent on removing IE8 this might help - click here

Further research suggests that it is actually disabled rather than physically removed in total.

Jwbjnwolf 12:40 02 Dec 2010

If you cannot do something with vista, you most likely cannot do that with windows 7, and you most certainly cannot downgrade it. ie9 is soon to be out so you should give that a try.
Im just waiting for the finel version of firefox 4 to be released until i go back to firefox.

Jwbjnwolf 12:41 02 Dec 2010

and also, you need ie to update the pc so you better not remove it.

GaT7 15:48 02 Dec 2010

I would suggest not to entirely remove IE as it is important for other related functions/programs. Also, removing it completely takes a few more hacks, which are not recommended.

I use Firefox (FF), but at times I find some websites don't run as well on FF as they do in IE. For this I use a free add-on called IE Tab Plus click here, which opens an IE tab in FF. But IE needs to be installed & enabled for it to work. G

tullie 17:59 02 Dec 2010

Why do you need IE to update windows?

Jwbjnwolf 18:41 02 Dec 2010

Windows updates through ie as what i have heard from my mum and lots of people.
they have told me that if ie is not any longer on the pc, windows will not update.

tullie 19:45 02 Dec 2010

You learn something new every day.As i hadent used IE for years it was not something i was aware off.

Jwbjnwolf 19:50 02 Dec 2010

I know, forums are best way of learning things I think

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?