Reinstalling dialup problem in Vista

Totally-braindead 16:08 30 Aug 2007

I have a problem on a friends PC and I'm not sure if the problem is with the ISP or with Vista. To be honest I suspect the ISP.
Basically he has a brand new Vista PC and is using an external dial up modem to connect to the internet. Now trying to reinstall his settings Orange(his provider)gets fairly far along until it comes up to the final bit about downloading the INS file which I believe is the Orange Branding logo etc. Anyway when it gets to this you are meant to click Open, we do so and it flashes on screen for a second and opens up the same box again. It sticks here and there appears to be nothing we can do. Is this Vista or is it more likely to be Orange and their website?

I have also tried setting up a connection manually using the info on the Orange website and that just fails to connect at all and I can find no info as to why, all settings appear correct, the modem dials out but just fails to connect.
The reinstall settings connects it just locks itself in a loop and the manual setting just doesn't work at all.

What about the security settings? None of them would stop a connectiom would they?

ventanas 17:10 30 Aug 2007

From the Orange web site

Attention Windows Vistaâ„¢ customers
The Orange Narrowband service can be used with Windows Vista however not all of our connection software is currently supported by Windows Vista. Don't worry, we're working on that and in the meantime we can still help you get connected. Just check out our online help (click here) section for all the information you'll need to get started.

Any help?

Totally-braindead 18:35 30 Aug 2007

Never saw that, thanks ventanas. I have followed the instructions to setup a dial up connection manually but it fails to connect. No error messages unfortunatly so I'm a bit at a loss.
I'm not sure if theres anything else I can try.

brundle 18:48 30 Aug 2007

Have you tried accessing other dial-up services? UK2 click here

Totally-braindead 19:03 30 Aug 2007

Thats interesting brundle but correct me if I'm wrong the charges they make make it even more expensive. Might be worth it for a try though.

Totally-braindead 19:04 30 Aug 2007

Just noticed the configuring your connection info, Vista is not mentioned.

brundle 12:54 01 Sep 2007

Only to see if you can connect using dial-up at all, not an alternative for internet access.

Totally-braindead 15:38 01 Sep 2007

Tried a manual setup again and what do you know it worked perfectly. Strange that. Never mind as long as its sorted.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleures tablettes 2017