Reinstall windows 7 after hardware upgrade

spooked11 19:22 17 Mar 2010

Hi everyone

I will install new hardware into my pc this weekend. I will replace the HDD, motherboard and CPU.

Windows 7 Home premium, retail is currently installed on my pc, which I purchased in December 09.

What I would like to know is what is the procedure when reinstalling my retail windows onto the new hardware? Do I have to deactivate on my old hardware before installing on new hardware?

Your help would be greatly appreciated

Peter

rdave13 00:24 18 Mar 2010

You should only need to install the OS then the new motherboard's drivers from the disc supplied.
I'd get an Antivirus program installed as soon as possible then download the Microsoft updates. I'd uncheck the 'browsers' update; though.

peugeot man 14:14 18 Mar 2010

I fitted a new HDD last month, as long as you have the product key you simply install as normal, then activate.

IF you get the on screen message that your copy has already been activated, you will be given a telephone number to call. This is an automated system that asks you some questions and for your old key. The system then reads you out a code to input.

Takes about a minute, nice and simple. The longest part will be all the updates to download once you have reinstalled.

Technocrate 08:41 13 Apr 2010

You will not experience any problems, except for having to reactivate the software by telephone, since the changes you are making are significant enough to warrant a reactivation:

Activate Windows 7 manually:
1. Click Start, and in the Search box type : slui.exe 4

2. Press ENTER on your Keyboard

3. Select your Country.
4. Select the Phone Activation option, and hold on for a real person.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017