Recovery Drive in Vista

Anti_Virus 14:32 10 Apr 2007

Hi, I have a Dell Latitude D620 laptop, which came with Vista (Business) pre-installed. Out of the box, in "Computer" there were two drives: the C: Drive (called OS) and the D: Drive (called Recovery). I bought my laptop with a 100 GB HDD. The C: Drive has a 91 GB capacity, and conatains all the usual (C:/User , C:/Program Files and C:/Windows etc.). The D: Drive has a 1.99 GB capacity, and contains folders that correspond to the folders in C:, except they are empty. Now, I'm assuming the D: drive must be a partition of my HDD, and is there for Windows Backup and Recovery Centre to store backups to. However, when I tried to do a backup of files yesterday, it said there was not enough room in the D: drive. As the D: drive was then full, I formatted it. It's now useless to me (which it kinda was before) So is there any way of increasing its capacity. Why is it there if it can't take what (I assume) it was built for. I'm not sure if backup in Vista compresses your files (I'm sure it must), but any ideas on what I should do woruld help.

anskyber 14:38 10 Apr 2007

I think you may find that the D drive was not to store your back ups (too small anyway) but it is your recovery partition if the OS fails and you need to restore C to factory settings.

It looks as if you have wiped off your safety net.

Anti_Virus 14:41 10 Apr 2007

well that is very annoying, but how come all the folders that were in the D: Drive, were empty? that doesn't sound like a good safety net to me anyway.

anskyber 14:43 10 Apr 2007

You should have on your desktop a link to the owners manual, all will be explained in there.

Anti_Virus 14:49 10 Apr 2007

Sorry no owner's manual on desktop. Do you have any idea why D: was empty anyway? also, on your first repely you said 2 GB was too small for Windows backup to backup to. What size should I be looking for?

anskyber 15:11 10 Apr 2007

The answer is it all depends on the amount of data and so on you are backing up.

All is not lost in terms of your back up including your operating system since you have the business version of Vista. Your version will allow you to do a full "image" of your disc including your OS for use in the future if you have an OS failure.

The best advice is to back the system up to some external source, you can do it ot DVDs but they only have a capacity of 4.5 Gb so as you use your machine more and more would be needed.

The best answer is to buy an external HDD, they can be bought for about £50 and everthing is then protected. Backing up to an internal partition is OK until your HDD fails then everything is lost.

A complete PC back up is done by opening Back up Status and Configuration, click complete PC backup icon in the left sidebar and click create back up now. Follow the wizard instructions. Windows will warn you if the destination you choose does not have sufficient space.

anskyber 15:15 10 Apr 2007

Your Manual by the way click here

Davros4143 20:57 22 Oct 2007

Interesting what you say anskyber, Thanks I'll have a look. Dell doesnt say anything about it in thier delivery docs. I guess Im better off than Anti-virus I have not deleted anything yet!
BUT I just tried what you suggested. (a) there is only "Backup files" icon not "complete backup". Also on the change settings dialogue "Where do you want to save backup" there is no other destination location available to me other than D: (the last failed backup) or a CD!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone