Recovering Win 8 upgrade after HD crash

jonmac 13:18 18 Dec 2013

Last January I downloaded the upgrade from Win7 to Win8 (£25) but before I could receive the upgrade later to Win8.1 my HD expired so when I replaced the HD I could only install Win7. Is there any way of obtaining that 7 to 8 download again so that I can then go to 8.1 at minimum expense?

rdave13 13:30 18 Dec 2013

You should have your product key in your receipt email from Microsoft and you can upgrade from here.

rdave13 13:33 18 Dec 2013

I can't remember now but if you get the option to download the iso file for upgrading at a later time then I would so you can then burn the upgrade disc in case of the same situation arising again.

aitchess708 14:18 18 Dec 2013

I purchased a Toshiba laptop, about 5 months ago, but yesterday it crashed and I cannot get into the computer, all I get is a "disc failed" message and then a message to reboot the computer, how can I do this ? Do I need to purchase software to get back on line?

rdave13 14:27 18 Dec 2013

aitchess708 I would start a new thread about your problem as It's unfair to jonmac receiving notification emails about someone else's problem and you'll get more replies possibly.

jonmac 14:52 18 Dec 2013

Thanks for the advice rdave13. The problem is that I can't locate that email but I had a look at the link you gave me and see that because I installed the 64 bit version of Windows 7 this time I wouldn't be able to do the upgrade anyway, I would have to purchase a DVD of Win 8.1. Oh well, I'll just have to wait until Windows 9 appears! Who knows, that might be free if Microsoft follow Apple's route these days!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5T review: Hands-on

Illustrator Andrés Lozano on his improv line work, brazen use of colours & hand sketching

iPhone X review

Comment envoyer gratuitement des gros fichiers ?