Recent update screwed ability to select text with mouse

SteveHodgson 10:11 01 Sep 2014

I don't know if it can even be helped, and it's certainly not just my machine, but all my work PCs too. A recent update to windows (I assume), has made selecting or unselecting text with the mouse require several attempts. On my first attempt, about 1 second after releasing the mouse button when dragging over to highlight text, the text will unselect for no reason (or if the default is selected text like when editing filenames by trying to place the cursor in the text, then after a second, the whole title will become selected again). It usually works fine the second time.

It may seem petty, but I rely on being able to copy and paste or edit things quickly for my job, so it's a huge pain. I have no idea what purpose this change could possibly have been for, but I'm hoping there's a way I can change it back.

johndrew 10:49 01 Sep 2014

There was a Windows update that caused problems but a further update has been issued to resolve this (see details). The update that corrected these issues (KB2993651) came out in the last week.

If installation of the update fails to resolve matters perhaps you should consider Restoring Windows to the last known good condition.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone