Readyboost and USB flash drives

25paul 08:23 23 Feb 2007

i think i read somewhere that the maximum size USB flash drive that you can use with Readyboost is 4gb. is this correct ? or have i mixed it up with something else.

anskyber 09:07 23 Feb 2007

It's more a function of your on board RAM. MS say that it can help up to 150% of your on board RAM. So if you have 1GB of RAM you can benefit from up to 1.5GB of Readyboost.

But not all cards work because for Readyboost it has to meet performance criteria which relate to read/write speeds. Many cards are optimised for fast single event speeds rather than constant speed of access.

The best approach until new readyboost designed cards arrive is to try one you already have. You may have spotted that Vista has a tool which will test the card for suitability.

Finally, tests have shown that RB makes little or no difference to machines with good RAM (say 2gigs) but there is an improvement for those with 512-1Gig.

Remember its not the same as RAM so the benefit will not be the same as adding RAM direct.

25paul 12:32 23 Feb 2007

thanks anskyber

kinger 16:24 23 Feb 2007

I use 'Integral' (PC World vanilla brand) for £59.00 for an amazing 4GB which was tested by Vista after I inserted it, and it passed.

I keep it in all the time now with 1GB of RAM in my laptop PC.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?