Ready Boost

lisa02 21:35 20 Jan 2008

I'm thinking of buying a couple of memory pens to use this feature but...

Does it really improve performance?

Do you use it?

Thanks for any info.

sinbads 21:45 20 Jan 2008

Depends on how much memory you have if you have 2g then i dont think you'll see much difference 1g yes ;but you will need to get memory pen that is marked for readyboost

Totally-braindead 22:04 20 Jan 2008

If you look around the Vista Forum you should be able to find some info on this as it was discussed before.
From what I recall of what was said sinbads is entirely right, if you have a good amount of memory it will make virtually no difference, and the opinion seemed to be that the readyboost doesn't work anything like as fast as proper RAM so if you can to be entirely honest with you you would be better fitting proper RAM if you can.

A friend of mine has a rather poor Celeron processor running Vista Basic and has only 512mb RAM on a laptop so some of the memory is taken by the graphics as well.
He bought a readyboost pen and found the difference so slight that now he doesn't bother. I tried it myself and there was a slight speed boost, you could see it so it was noticeable but I personally was very dissappointed in the boost as it wasn't that much.

sinbads 14:43 21 Jan 2008

NB.
If you do decide to use a readyboot memory pen, be sure to right click on your usb device( in my computer) select properties/ readyboost then select use this device.

iqs 15:23 21 Jan 2008

Hello lisa02,Sorry for asking a similar question in your thread,but we both have the same problem.

My ACER L3600 only has 1GB of ram,with all the running processes it is using 462mb.Will a ready boost help my Pc's performance ,or should I buy more ram?.

Cheers

sinbads 16:46 21 Jan 2008

Much better to add more ram another 1gig is cheap and installing into a laptop is relatively simple
you would need to select the correct ram that suits your system click here run the scan to find suitable ram.

iqs 10:50 24 Jan 2008

sinbads and lisa02

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?