read only problem

conrail 19:48 11 Jan 2009

running vista home premium 64bit sp1; recently purchased this pc and used old hd from previous pc as external hd, when trying to update an excel documents on the external hd I keep getting the message 'cannot save to O:\name.xls'. This folder is marked as Read Only'. this also applies to files within folders on the drive, ie, cannot save to O:\folder name\name.xls
how can I make the drive accessible to save to?
I currently have to delete the file then save it so long as I save it within a folder on the drive, trying to save it directly to the drive results in the same message,
vista has allocated the letter O to the drive, I have 3 old drives converted to external drives and 4 USB keys, don't know what to get dad for xmas so give hime a usb key appears to be my kids moto's, so I have the folowing drives:
C, D = fctory image, M =external hard drive, N partition on M, O external hard drive, P external hard drive, E = DVD RW, F, G H & I removeable drives which say enter disc when I click on them, haven't a clue about these because my 4 keys are J, K, L & M. sorry it's long winded I appreciate any help and advice given

Peter 20:02 11 Jan 2009

Your comment "I currently have to delete the file then save it so long as I save it within a folder on the drive" could be a clue. Are you trying to save the file in the root directory of the external drive? If so this could be a problem as there will be a limit to the number of files that can be stored in the root directory.

If you make a new folder (sub-directory) for the files you wish to transfer this could solve your problem. You may need to remove (delete) a file to make room for the new folder.

Peter.

conrail 20:24 11 Jan 2009

thanks Peter, I have moved the folder to another drive, created a new folder, opened each file in there and saved to the new folder, all appeared to save ok, I had saved them straight to the drive in XP home without any problems, can I ask another question or do I need to start a new thread? what are the F, G H & I removeable drives which say enter disc when I click on them, I have clicked on them and was given the option to safely remove but they keep reapearing, I only have 1 HD and 1 DVD-RW in the pc

MAJ 20:46 11 Jan 2009

Chances are they belong to a card reader that might be installed in your PC or your printer, conrail.

conrail 20:58 11 Jan 2009

thanks MAJ, that is what I missed in the listing, iy has a card reader, I appreciate that, thanks to Peter and MAJ for your help and advice.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?