re install vista

loganly 11:49 06 Jul 2008

i have inadvertantly installed an evaluation copy of vista on my pc and it is now saying my licence has expired if i install vista with the dvd disc i was given with the new pc will i lose all my programs games ,mp3s,pics ,etc thank you

crosstrainer 15:21 06 Jul 2008

So you installed Vista on top of Vista? Don't understand why you would...But if you have a legitimate DVD which was supplied by your manufacturer, I would phone Microsoft support, explain what you have done. They will then walk you through the process of changing the installation code.

DON'T try this on your own, or you will lose data. If you perform a clean installation using your supplied DVD, all your saved files that are not backed up will be lost.

The phone call is your best option.

loganly 17:01 06 Jul 2008

in the bottom right of my screen it says evaluation copy not sure why that is because the pc was pre installed with vista can i do a repair install and not lose data?

tullie 18:42 06 Jul 2008

So your pc came with a evaluation copy,not what youve installed,is that right?Or have you,for whatever reason istalled this over the original?

mrwoowoo 00:07 07 Jul 2008

If i read you correctly,you are saying that your new pc came with Vista supplied.
If that is the case, i would get in touch with the retailer that you purchased it from and ask why you have an evaluation version instead of an OEM version.

tullie 09:23 09 Jul 2008

Can you please let us know if you have solved the problem,and how.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 Hack Latest News: How Secure is your Wi-Fi?

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Comment utiliser Twitter ?