Program wont run for standard user.

Rebuilt 22:06 09 Jun 2008

I have a Minolta Magicolor 2400W printer and I have the latest drivers installed correctly.
With this there is a status program MSTMON_S thjat runs at startup (at least, it should).

It runs fine on any user that is an administrator but not on standard users. It has been loaded into the SYSTEM32 folder and the startup says it should be enabled for all users.

Does anyone have any ideas why and how to solve it because I, clearly, don't want to run my normal users as administrators?

Thanks in Advance.

crosstrainer 07:37 10 Jun 2008

I would guess that this is because Vista assumes that an ink monitor is an administrators tool.

It could be the way it's been written. If you can't allow it through the normal admin. settings, you may have to consult Minolta.

Alternatively, do away with the monitor part altogether (I've never found these to be particularly accurate or useful anyway)

My Epson has been reporting a virually empty black cartridge for about 3 month's now, and it still prints fine!

Rebuilt 08:57 10 Jun 2008

Thasnks for that - I was afraid of that. I guess Minolta is the next step.

In this case the printer is a colour laser so the ink status is more critical (and more accurate) but that is not the main use. The problem is that, sometimes, the printer does not initialise properly and, if you try to print in that situation, the print gets stuck in the spool and is the devils own job to clear later. Without the monitor application it is difficult to see if the initialisation completed correctly.

brundle 09:16 10 Jun 2008

Find the program in the System32 folder (probably after several hundred UAC warnings), right click, Select Properties, select Security, click Edit to change permissions, click Add,type Everyone in the box, click Check Names, click OK, make sure Read & Execute are ticked for the Everyone entry.
OK until all dialogue boxes close.

Rebuilt 20:30 10 Jun 2008

Thanks for that. I have done all that but it makes no difference.
I guess it is question to Minolta time.

crosstrainer 07:21 11 Jun 2008

They may well have a network driver available that will sort your problem:

click here

And have a look:

click here

It seems that there is a firmware upgrade available for your printer.

Rebuilt 15:16 11 Jun 2008

Thanks - but that is the driver I have. I could use their instructions to deinstall the driv er & start again from scratch to see what happens.

Where do you see the firmware upgrade as I cant see it (bearing in mind that my printer is a 2400W rather than a 2200).

crosstrainer 17:13 11 Jun 2008

Choose it from the list....Bit the upgrade is available from them (I assume via a chip upgrade sent through the post) They say it's free though.

click here

It seems the link to the firmware upgrade has been removed (Page Not Found)

It was there though....Guess contacting them is your only option.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?