Product key on 2 computers - help!

retro_hood 22:09 13 Mar 2007

I got my new laptop and typed in the vista product key. I then reinstalled vista at a later date because something went wrong (off-topic matter). Now when i try to activate my windows vista using the product key the automated phone service states i have already got it used the key on another computer. Could this possibly be my first installation?

I don't know what to do, 3 days left before activation runs out and i dont know what will happen.

Help plese.

daxian 23:29 13 Mar 2007

hi retro_hood.....
when any version of windows is activated ,a record of the parts in the pc is created ...so that it will only work on the one pc .

so unless you have made a lot of changes to the parts ...(unlikley in a laptop )or tried to load a different version of vista than you first installed ,there is no way it will be your first installation
causing the problem .

Kate B 23:31 13 Mar 2007

Did it activate OK the first time; and have you tried to install it on another computer in the meantime?

Killo Bite 00:39 14 Mar 2007

and tell them you reinstalled on the laptop and it wasn't right so did it again and it locked you out, they will take you thorugh the process for a new code but only once.

Forum Editor 01:04 14 Mar 2007

You may only install Vista on one computer, and if they already have an activation record they'll want to know why you're trying to activate the same copy again.

The activation desk will ask you a couple of questions, and they'll compare the original installation hash (the coded record of your computer's hardware configuration) with the one you're trying to register. Provided they're satisfied with the information they get you'll be given an activation key.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?