"Procedure entry point OpenSemaphoreW. api-ms..."

Ame-san 23:14 25 Jan 2016

Welp. If anyone bothers to give me a helpful answer, I'll leave the details here.

Basically, I get this error when opening some programs and it's been annoying me that I can't use that programs and have to go to another computer to use so.

Full dll name is api-ms-win-core-synch-l1-2-0.dll.

1. Yes, I did clean registries on my computer out of free will. I don't know if that counts as making changes on the computer.
  2. Yes, I did run SFC /Scannow. No avail.
  3. BONUS: Yes, I did use AVG TuneUp out of free will as well.
  lotvic 14:18 26 Jan 2016

I see that you have been seeking a solution (via different user names) on several places on the net, so presuming you followed the advice on sfc /scannow as per click here

What were the findings in your sfcdetails.txt file?

Ame-san 16:14 26 Jan 2016

I didn't check after performing the sfc.

What's the location of the file?

lotvic 20:52 26 Jan 2016

You need to create it, follow the link and read all of the page, right down to the bottom.

Tip: instead of laboriously typing, you can copy and paste the %paths into the Command Box (which you must run as Administrator (aka Elevated command)

Ame-san 23:33 26 Jan 2016

click here is the file. There wasn't anything out of the ordinary.

Here

lotvic 00:37 27 Jan 2016

Can't read that file without a decryption key, obviously you won't be posting a key so never mind as you say there wasn't anything out of the ordinary.

After you had run the sfc /scannow in the command box did it display any message? such as: Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations

Are you using W8.1 or W10?

Can you do a search on your hard drive for the dll? Copy and paste: api-ms-win-core-synch-l1-2-0.dll into search and press enter

(you may have to enable 'show hidden files and folders' in your Tools - Folder Options - View)

As you have access to another pc also do the search on there and if possible follow the instructions (on link) to copy it over to the problem pc. Don't forget to shut down and reboot afterwards.

Unfortunately sometimes Registry Cleaners cause more problems than they solve..

I think you will find ClickHere to be useful for info on dll's on W7, W8, W10 click on the relevant Op sys red tab at top and then on the letter A and scroll down the list.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?