Problems with Windows 10 Creators update

davidmball9 11:29 18 Apr 2017

I have a PC with an SSD. Despite having the program files on the same disc as Windows 10, I still had a problem with the anniversary update not working, Despite trying several workarounds, It still failed part-way through and reverted to my earlier version. This problem lasted for months, then suddenly, about 6 weeks ago during an automatic update, it worked and I had the anniversary update. I presumed from this tat Microsoft had solved the problem affecting "a very few customers". Now we have the creators update and guess what? It gets to 40% of the update process after 2 reboots and stalls with an error message saying it cannot update a component of f windows. I tried downloading the update from the MS site as recommended, but the same thing happened. Has anybody else experienced this? Have Microsoft screwed up again? If anyone knows ao a workaround that works, I would be grateful of the help. I have no wish to wait another 6 months for updates that work.

Burn-it 12:22 18 Apr 2017

Did you turn your anti virus off?? It suggests you do just while doing the update!

rickf 16:37 18 Apr 2017

I have upgraded mine a couple of days ago w/o any problems. Took about an hour and half. Very straight forward just click upgrade and let windows do it's job. I did not have to turn off my anti virus at all. just closed all apps that were running.

davidmball9 16:41 18 Apr 2017

Yes that fixed it and the upgrade went through OK. Although I had to delete my anti-virus software (AVG) because I could not find a way to turn it off permanently. I was only allowed 15 minutes or until the next reboot, neither of which were any good. Maybe I need a better anti-virus. Strange that the anniversary update finally went through with anti-virus on and my laptop ungraded to creators version with antivirus on -albiet a different programme (Avast). I also lost my Wi-fi connection and had to re-install the driver software for my BT Dongle -good job I have a laptop and did not have to rig up an ethernet cable from another room. Why can't updates go smoothly. Anyway thanks for the tip.

Burn-it 00:37 20 Apr 2017

I didn't have to turn off mine, and you should not really have to, but sometimes the two just don't mix. I too use Avast.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?