Problems with Paint in W7

Al Davies 09:11 15 Jun 2014

Hi,

With XP I found the Paint programme supplied fairly easy to use but Paint that comes with Windows 7 Pro has changed.

I tried to draw a freehand line around a figure in a photo and could not then see a way to copy that elsewhere. Worse, I was unable to see a way to remove that line and it had transferred itself to the original photo and I could not get rid of it.

Does anyone know how I can select one figure in a photo using the freehand line to draw around it and then copy it. Is there another simple programme I can use to do this that won't affect the original photo?

I am wary of downloading some programmes I have seen such as The Gimp or Irfanview in case they take over my photofiles which I don't want.

Cheers

Secret-Squirrel 09:52 15 Jun 2014

"I tried to draw a freehand line around a figure in a photo and could not then see a way to copy that elsewhere. Worse, I was unable to see a way to remove that line and it had transferred itself to the original photo and I could not get rid of it."

It sounds like you've drawing your line with a brush instead of the selection tool. Click the little arrow at the bottom of the "Select" button and choose "Free-form Selection". When you complete your selection, take your finger off the mouse button and the cursor should change to a four-headed arrow. Left-click again and you should be able to drag the selection to anywhere you want.

lotvic 14:59 15 Jun 2014

And before you open Paint and the photo to start, in Windows Explorer make a copy of your photo file and work with the Copy not the original.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?