Printer Sharing - Win 7 64Bit & Vista 32Bit

Sibbo 20:23 07 Jan 2010

I have a Canon iP4500 printer wired directly to a Windows 7 64 Bit desktop PC, and wish to share the printer with a Laptop that is running Windows Vista 32 Bit. Each time I try to get it to work I run into various problems. I've even tried installing the relevant drivers onto both machines, but still it will not work. Both machines reject the others drivers due to the different acchitecture. Although I've shared my Internet connection before with no problems, this is my first attempt at printer sharing. What am I doing wrong? Thanks

Sibbo 17:02 08 Jan 2010

Anyone have any idea please? This problem is doing my head in lol. Thanks

chub_tor 18:50 08 Jan 2010

Take a look at this click here

Sibbo 20:04 08 Jan 2010

Thanks, but I have a problem that crops up with that procedure. The part where it states:

" Then when it asks if you want to update or uninstall, click cancel.
AND
Now, you need to find the folder that driver was extracted to. Open Run (Win+R), and type in “C:\Users\your user name\appdata\local\temp”.

I'm not getting the first message, and because I am trying to install the 32 bit drivers onto the 64bit desktop (host PC), I receive an error along the lines of "incorrect driver......", which means that the install procedure stops, and the install is rolled back, so no files are in the temp directory.

chub_tor 14:29 09 Jan 2010

If that procedure doesn't work then I'm sorry but I can't help any more, it's not something that I have ever tried to do and got the procedure by Googling your problem. Perhaps bumping this back up again someone else may have a solution for you. Good luck and if you manage to solve it please post how as I am sure that others must have a similar problem.

james105051 18:24 12 Jan 2010

Have you "Shared" the printer in Win 7 64 bit (Control Panel\Devices and Printers\Right click printer\hare this printer) then in Vista Control panel\printers\add printer\select network printer.

My setup is yours in reverse Canon MP610 on Win XP Pro 32bit as host, and printer is shared on two lappy's Win 7 64bit and Win 7 32 bit. I just installed only the drivers for the OS required on the lappy's, then ran the share as outlined above and the relevant drivers were found on the none host machine when required.

Sibbo 18:54 12 Jan 2010

The Canon iP4500 worked fine when it was connected to the Vista 64 bit machine, and the Vista 32 bit Laptops could also print to it. It's only since this printer was transferred to my son's PC (Win 7 64 bit) PC upstairs in his bedroom, and I bought myself the iP4700.

james105051 18:59 12 Jan 2010

Okay I understand, but have you told your sons machine that you wish to share the printer.

Sibbo 21:19 16 Jan 2010

Thanks for the info' chub_tor, but after numerous attempts it still didn't work. Thanks for your time though.

@ james105051
Yes, that has been done.

T0SH 20:21 18 Jan 2010

Install the printer as local using 32 bit drivers to the Vista machine (note the install directory used), if you are asked to connect the printer refuse and let the install complete

Next add the printer as a network printer (connected to another PC on your network) and when asked for drivers point it to the install directory location for the 32 bit drivers you noted above

This way you should be using compatible drivers

Cheers HC

Sibbo 21:11 18 Jan 2010

OK, I'll give it a go over the next few days and report back. When you say add it as a network printer when connected to another PC, do you mean via a cable? If so, thats the 64 Bit Win 7 desktop PC. Should that be OK? I would then need to share the printer with yet another 32 Bit Laptop.

PS
Sorry, but I forgot to say previously, that when this printer was attached directly to a 64 Bit Vista desktop, it was possible to print to it wirelessly from one of the 32 Bit Vista Laptops. Does this help?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone