Preinstalled vista dual boot with XP?

Davros4143 15:56 30 Jan 2008

Dual boot Vista with XP ?
I have tried, repeatedly, to use Vista but so many of my programs/games/ISP installation do not work on it. I have spent more time trying to get it to work than I have enjoying my new Dell Inspiron with pre-installed Vista (I have the inst discs). The majority of solutions on the net seem to point to my creating a dual boot with my existing copy of XP. It's a great pity that I did not have the opportunity to select XP in the first place as from comments from readers it seems easier to dual boot with XP already installed rather than the other way round. More of a pity that Dell do not provide an on- line solution to its many users who may be suffering the same problem. Has anyone out there tried the below method? Are there any problems with it?
click here
Grateful for any comments, I'm an enthusiastic amateur and don't want to want to ruin my new PC just want to use it.
Needless to say I'm emailing from my old PC.

ventanas 16:35 30 Jan 2008

To dual boot click here

No so easy if Vista is on. Also your copy of XP needs to be retail, not one supplied with a previous computer. The licence won't cover installing on your new machine if it is.

But, what programs are you struggling with. I've got some apps that are years old and still work ok with Vista, and one of my Dells is an Inspiron. And I don't understand why you cannot connect through your ISP. This may be just a case of sorting some issues out, rather than taking a drastic step.

Davros4143 17:40 30 Jan 2008

Thanks for your thoughtful comment ventanas-
Have contacted my ISP who gave me a procedure which I followed. Worked next time, then next time it didn't!
Tried it again, worked first time, next time it didn't. Exasperated by now. Installed "Call of Duty" Designed for XP and Windows 2000. Didn't work.Clicked on Control panel windows anytime upgrade. just ten days ago- wiped all my files I had transferred onto it from my backup external drive. The Windows Media Centre now nowhere to be seen! Search does not find it. plus the fact that I have a lot of other software that just doesn't work.Some freeware, which will probably become available later Vista compatible, but I need it now. Being on a pension makes it more difficult.This has been an ongoing problem since November.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?