Possible overheating issues? Or just old pc

Eiphil_Tower 17:31 01 Jun 2017

Hi, everyone. Lately, I have been having these annoying issues where the PC will randomly freeze, with either blue and black, green and black or just a black screen, and then the fans would go into overdrive. Normally 5this would mean it is overheating, so I cleaned it, changed the thermal paste and it is still happening, but only slightly less than before. Now I still can't play any Steam games, only for a few minutes (even on lowest settings), ageing pc could also be a factor, but I've been told its heat, running coretemp and other heat programs, as well as the temp on the size of my Zalman case, say always around 24-19 degrees Celsius, with the highest reading being 40 (with stress test).

As before, aging pc could be the issue, my specs are: AMD Phenom II 1090T 16GB DDR3 RAM MSI Radeon 7850 900 Watt Gold PSU, Zalman heatsink and fans.(no name or code)

I'm not the best with PC's anyway but I still can't find it, as it looks like heat issues but all temperatures are around normal, any help would be appreciated. Many thanks in advance!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:30 01 Jun 2017

Freezing PC

1. Overheat due to faulty / blocked fans - speed fan will show temperatures

2. PSU voltages - speed fan will also show voltages

3. Household power surges fridge etc switching on/off

4. faulty memory stick try memtest click here virus or spyware scan for both especially if shutting down with in a few minutes of switch on or internet use

5. driver conflicts especially graphics cards get the latest drivers for your equipment

1 is done work your way through the rest of the list :0)

Eiphil_Tower 19:32 02 Jun 2017

Hi, thanks for the help, it could also be due to the location of PC.As I have a Samsung S32850t monitor there is no space for the PC on the desk si it is underneath, which doesn't help with heat. I ran the PassMark tests and they came out fair for the age it is, but still quite poor. For some reason, Speed fan says it doesn't support the Phenom X6 processor and won't run the program no matter how I do it. Memtest is also refusing to run, but I will try with windows memory tester as its something. Thanks again Phil The link below to the results to give you an idea. 1]: [click here

Eiphil_Tower 19:42 02 Jun 2017

I got speed test to run, and not surprising GPU is 42 degrees :/

click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:30 02 Jun 2017

they are cool never seen a machine running that cool ;0)

however your -12v line is showing very low at 8.91v

Eiphil_Tower 19:03 03 Jun 2017

I was wondering that it seemed too good, right now the 12v is hovering around 3.56V,no so great

Eiphil_Tower 22:17 03 Jun 2017

Checking error reports there are 6 error 41's, which i think mean psu issues

rdave13 23:32 03 Jun 2017

Looks like the PSU. Running a stress test on a CPU showing about 40C on a AMD Phenom is way out. They usually run hotter than Intel.

Eiphil_Tower 14:34 09 Jun 2017

True, so just replace then?No way of say changing pins ?

wee eddie 19:34 09 Jun 2017

Stop mucking about with software.

Get it opened up and the stour blown out of it and its filters. Then make sure that, where it is sitting has an easy airflow.

The whole job can be done in half an hour and at zero cost.

If you still have a problem you can start looking for a software solution, but I doubt it will be necessary

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

Black Friday Deals for Designers & Artists: Adobe, Apple, Corel Painter, Microsoft Surface, Wacom &e…

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires