possible to change desktop to be wireless?

march 16:34 02 Mar 2014
Answered

Hi Everyone,

I have a medion 7750 desktop pc, running vista, and have virgin media broadband with router.

I would like to ask if its possible to convert the desktop to run on wifi same as a laptop, reason being I have to move the pc to another room and would prefer not to have all the cables moved with it.

If it is possible will I need to get an expert in to do it or is it something I could do?

Any help in explaining what I would need and how to do it would be very helpful, I have checked on the internet and think I understand it can be done but find the information confusing as I don’t understand all the jargon.

Thank you in advance

March

march 18:56 02 Mar 2014

Hi Jock1e

thank you for your time

its a medion akoya E3300D

The only thing I can find in the manual is it says 'The network is a Fast Ethernet -Network connection,

Thank you

March

march 19:20 02 Mar 2014

this is all the info on the pc, I cannot see a wireless card installed

Medion® Akoya® E3300 D Multimedia PC

AMD Athlon X2 7750 Dual-Core processor the MEDION® AKOYA® E3300 D becomes a multitasking Power-PC with increased performance. Experience full high definition (HD1) and DirectX® 10.1 with the ATI Radeon HD 4350 Premium graphics card. Full-HD (1080p resolution)1 and 7.1 HD surround sound2 provide a fantastic home cinema experience. With the support of DirectX® 10.1 you can enjoy the latest graphics effects and all from a whisper-quiet, energy-saving computer.

1 Requires a Full-HD screen/monitor supporting 1920x1080 resolution. 2 Only in conjunction with suitable loudspeaker systems (not supplied).

AMD Athlon X2 7750 Dual-Core processor

ATI Radeon HD4350 DirectX® 10.1 Premium graphic card with 512MB graphic memory and digital video/audio output via HDMI

Massive 4GB (4096MB) DDR2 SDRAM

640GB hard disk with GreenPower technology for storing more than 120,000 songs or photos**

Multiformat DVD/CD burner with DVD-RAM and Dual Layer support*

Network controller Gigabit LAN (10/100/1000 Mbit/s.) on board

eSATA for connecting external SATA devices such as hard drives

8 Channel High Definition Audio**

Stylish high-gloss design

Powerful DirectX® 10.1 graphics

Huge Software Package (OEM Versions) Pre-installed and/or on CD/DVD and recovery DVD or CD.

MEDION® data port 2 Simple, limitless storage capacity expansion no cables required! The MEDION® data port 2 for the HDDrive2go ultra speed hard drive. This allows easy connection of an external HDDrive2go ultra speed hard drive directly to the PC without any cables or external power supply. Includes latest SATA docking port interface technology. (HDDrive2go ultra speed hard drive, not included sold separately)

Connectivity (front) * 2 USB 2.0 * 1 Firewire * 1 Microphone * 1 eSATA * 1 Line In Integrated USB 2.0 * Flash memory card reader, reads and writes all current flash memory cards

Connectivity (rear) * 2 PS/2 * 4 USB 2.0 * 1 LAN (RJ45) * 1 Firewire * 1 Front Line Out * 1 Back Surround Line Out * 1 Side Surround Line Out * 1 Centre/Subwoofer Line Out * 1 Line In * 1 SPDIF (opt.) Out * 1 DVI-I * 1 VGA * 1 HDMI

Accessories included

• PS/2 keyboard
  • Optical USB mouse
  march 19:37 02 Mar 2014

just so you know it will be tomorrow night before I will be able to check on any replys, so meantime thank you if anyone responds,

march

march 06:20 04 Mar 2014

Hi Jock1e

Have tried pc without the ethernet connection & no go with that.

Read the links above but like you the last one is far above my understanding but thank you anyway.

Am going to get a wifi dongle 300mbs from the other link you posted, not sure which one yet will read the reviews and send for one.

Will post back later in the week when its arrived and Ive set up the pc and let you know what happens.

Thank you for your guidance so far and for your time.

Till later in the week then,

regards

March

march 17:46 04 Mar 2014

hi Jock1e

yes I checked device manager and network adaptors but nothing there for wireless,

have sent for a wifi dongle and will post back later in week when it arrives, thank you for your replys and help so far

march

mole1944 06:16 06 Mar 2014

For a few £££#s you can get a USB wireless adapter from Amazon, plug it in go through the connection process and hey presto job sorted,my machine 5 years old did it to mine simple and effective. Also did the same with Bluetooth adapter now laptop/tablet/Phone/bluetooth speakers/nas drive and desktop all interconnected.

onthelimit1 09:14 11 Mar 2014

Can't insert a link at the moment. If you google 'amazon edimax wireless dongle' you will see a tiny device that costs under a tenner. I've fitted dozens of these and their performance is really very good for the price and size. Other manufacturers do similar sized ones as well (Tp-link, for example).

march 13:43 11 Mar 2014

Hi everyone

update on my 'go wireless' arrived today my purchase of a TP-WN823N 300 Mbps mini wireless usb adaptor from Amazon, connected it all up & hey presto all working brilliant & typing this after moving desktop etc to another room.

Thank you so much to Jock1e for your time and suggestions to help me get this done. Also thank you to mole1944 & onthelimit1 for responding.

regards to all on the forum

thank you very much for all the help and suggestions march

mole1944 06:13 12 Mar 2014

More than glad to help,easy cheap fix, job sorted.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from Petya?

Microsoft Surface Studio – the artist's hands-on review

Original iPhone review

Comment mettre à jour Kodi ?