please help win xp install problem

skyfly 08:29 06 Dec 2007

I have just built a new pc,Asus m2npv-vm mobo, Athlon x64 chip, 2 gig memory,Sata2 500gb hdd,on board nvidia graphics. try installing xp and instalation fails at very end with blue screen saying something like to avoid damage to your computer windows has been shut down.I have already put vista on no probs, partitioned the hard drive for xp did the f6 thing to find hdd ok. I tried before I had vista on it with an unpartitioned drive and same thing happened. Help please I am losing to much sleep!!!!!!!!!!

Mike10C 08:52 06 Dec 2007

If you look through the Vista threads, you will see that to have both XP and Vista on the same computer in a dual boot setup, that XP must go on first. Once XP is on, then you can put on Vista.

I have also seen some reports where the 2 operating systems have been set up on different hard drives, and a special boot choice programme has been used.

Covergirl 13:05 06 Dec 2007

I've just been reading through "Windows Vista Tips and Tricks in Easy Steps (In Easy Steps) (Paperback) by Stuart Yarnold click here and I'm sure it stated the exact opposite to Mike10C's posting above wrt having to put XP on first. It looks like quite a complex process though, and considering I tried a combination of 4 other things at once (Menu delay, disabling card reader drives plus a couple of others) and then having the system BSOD on me in a recurring loop, I'd be careful.
It does, however, sound like there is something wrong with your XP installation disc - maybe it's got a slight imperceptible scratch and some data is damaged on it . . . ? Nothing else I can think of

ventanas 16:10 06 Dec 2007

No, you don't need XP to go first, but it helps.

Instructions if Vista is already installed click here

Covergirl 22:33 06 Dec 2007

Hands up - I'll admit I totally misread that bit in the book - one has to install THE OLDEST OS FIRST or so it says but contradicted by Ventanas - above link refers. Not a particular area of interest so didn't read it thoroughly, just the bit on partitioning and installing Vista then the note on XP, 98 etc. so . . Hmmm . . hole in the ground open up pleeaase quick

tullie 09:03 07 Dec 2007

As Ventanas says,you dont have to install XP first,though apparantly its easier,his link shows you how.

skyfly 11:34 09 Dec 2007

Made a slipstreamed XP disc with SP2 on it worked fine thanx

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone