PC will not boot when USB hard drive connected

tongu05 13:58 24 Jun 2017

I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 at the end of the 'free' upgrade period, some time ago. My C drive is a quite old and fairly small capacity 160GB IDE unit. This is for Apps only - I keep all my data on a 1TB USB connected drive. Since the Windows 10 upgrade, the PC will not boot unless the USB drive is disconnected - once the PC has booted, of course the 1TB drive can be successfully plugged in but I have to remember to unplug it at the end of the computing session. Obviously, the device is set to boot from the IDE 'C' drive within the bios. Is there any way that I can stop this, as it is annoying having to constantly plug and unplug the USB drive. This machine has had four operating systems in its history - XP, Vista, 7, and now 10. There was never this problem with any of the earlier operating systems

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:25 24 Jun 2017

Try disabling boot from USB in the BIOS, or at least move USb boot to the end of the boot priority order.

tongu05 13:08 26 Jun 2017

Thank you for your response. There isn't a 'boot from USB' option within the bios and hence nothing that can be disabled here. Within the boot order list, I have the second and third boot devices both set to 'disabled', so the only drive that appears on the boot list is the 160GB IDE C drive.

However, I have been playing around within the bios this morning. Under the 'Main' menu heading is a sub heading entitled 'Storage Configuration'. Under this is a further sub heading entitled 'Sata Configuration'. Within this there are three options that can be selected, 'Disabled', 'Compatible' and 'Enhanced'. It was set to 'Enhanced' but I changed it to 'Disabled'. This has now solved the problem and it now boots up every time, even with the USB hard drive plugged in.

I have no idea what these options mean, or exactly what I have done here but the problem is sorted!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:55 26 Jun 2017

Means if you add a SATA drive or swap the IDE for a SATA it will not boot from the new drive til you change the setting back in BIOS.

tongu05 21:37 26 Jun 2017

Thanks for the information. Some day the IDE drive will inevitably fail (it is very old) and it will then almost certainly be replaced with a SATA drive. I will bear what you say in mind, at the time.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:46 28 Jun 2017

Some day the IDE drive will inevitably fail

Still running a couple of 256Mb hard drives from the 1980s :0)

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5T review: Hands-on

See the Best Button Badge Designs of 2017

iPhone X review

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires