pc shut down

gazzaboy 21:04 05 Sep 2007

recently i have been having bother with my 6 month old Vista pc.It starts up ok and may run ok but sometimes the screen goes blank and the pc reboots from start up agin .It goes to windows has not shut down properly and then you just hit enter and it reboots.Could this be a virus or an update problem?It is still under warrenty so if it is a fault it will go back to shop!

Totally-braindead 21:28 05 Sep 2007

Theres so many things it could possibly be you need to do some work to cut down on the possabilities.
What anti virus do you have, is it fully updated and have you done a full scan with it?
Have you tried system restore to before the fault appeared?
Have you added anything that you can recall in hardware software immediatly before the problem appeared?

gazzaboy 21:32 05 Sep 2007

I am on Bullgaurd antivirus and i tried to do a scan last night which was taking unusally long.It is updated and i have had no problems with it.As of yet i havnt done anything else apart from afew downloads.

Totally-braindead 21:55 05 Sep 2007

Well you have to cut down the possabilities a bit and I suggest a full virus scan first.
If Bullguard fails there are some reputable online scans you can run but I don't know which ones run ok with Vista so I'll have to let others advice on that.
If you do run an online scan only do one that someone on the Forum uses and recommends as some of them are dodgy and come upp with false results to get you to buy their software.

gazzaboy 21:57 05 Sep 2007

ok thanks for that

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?