PC reads only DVDs not CD-Roms

covkitty 18:54 17 Jun 2008

Can anyone explain why my Desktop PC recognises and reads DVDs but rejects all CD-Roms? It was new early this year, and I am using Vista Home Premium. Also one of my memory sticks is also rejected. My laptop is also on Home Premium and reads everything.

theDarkness 11:55 18 Jun 2008

Has the desktop always been like this? My MSI vista home premium laptop has a very slow disc drive, i can put a dvd-r in and it can tell me its a completely empty disc even when its not. I may have to wait a long time before its content finally shows on screen, as long as i try not to access it myself. I have a feeling that depending on the drive model, vista may not be as compatible as it should with some, perhaps an update in software/drivers for the disc drive will sort things out.. that is, when (if!) the disc drives manufacturer bothers to update for vista, and eventually releases a new one :( ! I still havent installed the service pack for vista as i have no internet via pc at the moment (using a SE mobile phone right now!) and have heard some bad reviews from people detailing their system after the upgrade.. think ill wait until ms release sp2 for vista. If they ever do! :( lol

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?