PC lags on black screen to log in page?

Smoothpierre 10:16 09 Oct 2013

Hi My PC (Touchsmart 600) has developed a huge lag between the Win 7 load screen and the sign on page, the screen is black for approx 1 - 2 mins then the cursor will appear and a short while after the desktop is there.Have tried Malwarebytes, Cc cleaner but to no avail, can't think what could be causing this huge lag. Any ideas and help appreciated - thank you.

woodchip 18:34 09 Oct 2013

Also could be anti-virus doing some checks.

Can you see the Hard Drive light working a lot at this time that it hangs?

Smoothpierre 19:05 09 Oct 2013

No noticeable activity on the hard drive .. I'm using Kaspersky but this happened whilst Kaspersky was off due to a fault (had to reinstall Kaspersky it had turned itself off).

Smoothpierre 19:32 09 Oct 2013

Jock1e Thanks I tried that and it seemed to be a lot quicker but it still takes a lot of time to boot up to the desktop, now that things are returned to normal.

woodchip 22:22 09 Oct 2013

It sounds like a Driver, but have you checked running MSCONFIG, to see what starts up at boot. Under Startup tab. You should stop what does not need to start at boot by removing the tick in the box, write down the ones you remove so that you can restart them if needed. Do not stop AV etc

nickf 12:49 12 Oct 2013

Smoothpierre , I have been trialing free tune up tools , and have found Glary Utilities and IObit system care to be quite good , and both have a startup manager which will help you speed your PC up a bot . Good luck

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iPhone X review

Political cartoons in 2017: Chris Riddell, Rebecca Hendin and Dave Brown on what it’s like to…

The best iPhone for 2017

Tennis : comment regarder la finale de la Coupe Davis 2017 ?