PC BootSequence

ExPara 16:34 31 May 2014

I have a problem when Booting my PC into Windows 7. On start up, before Windows loads I get a black screen and then text saying "Realtec PCIe GBE Family Controller Ser' v2.38" loading. I then have about a 30sec' wait while it loads and Windows 7 opens. This problem has just manifested it's self. I have tried going back with System Restore but the problem isn't fixed. I suspect it has something to do with the Boot Sequence. I would be glad of any help.

Secret-Squirrel 09:36 01 Jun 2014

"......and then text saying "Realtec PCIe GBE Family Controller Ser' v2.38""

Is that the entire message you see while the bootup is stalled? If not then please post as much of the text as you can.

"I suspect it has something to do with the Boot Sequence."

That's what I think too - it sounds like your PC's trying to initiate a network boot, it keeps trying for a while, gives up, and then Windows boots normally. Anyhow, let me know the answer to my question including the make and model of your PC.

ExPara 10:16 03 Jun 2014

Secret Squirrel, thanks for your reply. The text on the delayed start up reads:- **"Intel UNDI, PXE-2.1 (build 083) Copyright (C) 1997-2000 Intel Corporation This Product is covered by one or more of the following patents: US5,307,459, US5,434,872, US5,732,094, US6,570,884, US6,115,776 and US6,327,625 Realetk PCIe CBE Family Controller Series v2.38 (12/24/10) CLIENT MAC ADDR: 54 04 A6 C0 60 FD Guid: E0C63E1D-CB5B-D911-AB19-5404A6C060FD PXE-E53: No boot filename received PXE-M0F: Exiting PXE ROM."**

Secret-Squirrel 11:04 03 Jun 2014

Thanks very much for taking the time to post such a detailed report. That confirms my suspicion - your PC is trying to boot via a network.

You haven't provided details of your PC so I can't give specific advice, but to fix the problem you need to go into the PC's BIOS settings then hunt for a section probably called "boot order". Adjust the list so that the first boot device is your CD/DVD drive, the second device is USB drive (if available as an option), and the third device is your hard disk. Make sure you save the settings before exiting.

If you make a mistake and the PC doesn't boot at all then go back into the BIOS and choose the option to "load default settings" or "Setup defaults" etc. You may actually find that that option will also return the boot order back to what it used to be.

It's a mystery how those settings got changed in the first place though.

ExPara 16:51 04 Jun 2014

Thanks for your patience. My PC is a Chillblast Fusion Hotrod, Asus P8Z68-V LX Motherboard, Intel Core i5 2500K Processor 3.30 GHz (No Overclocking) running Windows 7 64bit. I have managed to access the BIOS via F2 and advanced via F8. When I arrive there, the menu does not seem to give me the options, "load default settings" or "Setup defaults" for to change the boot sequence. It's probably there somewhere but I am afraid to select something else from the menu that may be damaging.

Secret-Squirrel 17:47 04 Jun 2014

Thanks for the motherboard info - here's the direct link to the user manual although you may not need it. If you do then the BIOS options section starts at chapter 2.2

It appears that you need to press the DEL or DELETE key on your keyboard to access the full BIOS settings page. Next, go to the "Boot" section by clicking the tab at the top of the screen. The relevant section would appear to be called "Boot option priorities". If it shows network or the network adapter at the top of the list then that's the culprit and you can go ahead and change the boot order. It would be prudent to make a note of any changes you make in case you need to go back in and put things back to how they were.

If on the other hand you want to go ahead and load the default settings then click the "Exit" tab then click on "Load optimized defaults". Note that any customised BIOS settings will be lost, but you probably haven't got any as you're not over-clocking.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?