Partitioned Hard Drive Question

Fateful Shadow 08:02 26 Jan 2007

My laptop came with a partitioned hard drive (about 70GB each) and at present I use the C: drive for program files, and the D: drive for media files.

If I was to 'clean install' Vista onto my laptop, would this destroy the partitioning or could I, say, store my files on the D: drive, install Vista on the C: drive and then copy my files over from D:?

Hope that makes sense =/

Thanks =]

mgmcc 08:35 26 Jan 2007

You can install Vista into C drive to replace your existing Windows and this won't (shouldn't) affect the existing partition structure or any files already in your D drive.

Fateful Shadow 10:11 27 Jan 2007

Thanks for the reply mgmcc.

If I were to install Vista on my D: drive and keep XP on my C: drive (having the dual-boot option), how could I later rid myself of XP, if Vista seems to run effectively on my PC?

Is it just a case of deleting the 'Windows' folder on the C: drive (if that is possible at all?!)

Thanks again =]

mgmcc 21:09 27 Jan 2007

To be honest, I don't know what the implications of trying to remove XP from a dual boot would be. I actually have a dual boot with XP in the first partition and Vista RC1 in the second. XP's Boot.ini file is no longer used and instead Vista installs its own Boot Manager in the XP partition. The drives cannot even be described as "C" and "D" because whichever operating system is loaded, that becomes "C" drive with the other OS showing as "D".

cockneyrebel49 15:51 30 Jan 2007

I was I think one of the fortunate to Btea trial Vista. I had no trouble with either booting or uninstalling Vista.
What I did find out was vista left a trail on XP
which I had a hell of a job finding it. I eventially found it in the windows system folder and also in the Config files, the doside of nof not removing it left some of my divice drivers inoperable. Hope this helps somebody and yes I will be buying the Vista Primium 64 bit.
mike

cockneyrebel49 15:54 30 Jan 2007

I was I think one of the fortunate to Beta trial Vista. I had no trouble with either booting or uninstalling Vista.
What I did find out was vista(after uninstalling it) left a trail on XP
which I had a hell of a job finding it. I eventially found it in the windows system folder and also in the Config files, the down side of not removing it left some of my device drivers inoperable. Hope this helps somebody and yes I will be buying the Vista Primium 64 bit.
mike

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Ryzen news - release date, UK price, features and specifications

The pulp art of 80s computer game magazine covers

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment faire des captures d’écran sous Windows 10 ?