Packard Bell Vista Crashing

bell232 14:56 15 Sep 2008

Had my PC about 4 or 5 months now with nothing but trouble since purchase. It all started with constant crashing while in windows and having to restart, recently had a new HD fitted because of this. Now my pc crashes on boot, when i get to the windows coparation screen and in windows itself still. Have tried windows repair with no luck.

I'm having a new motherboard fitted on wednesday but i really don't think the motherboard is completely at fault. I believe it's Vista itself. Just curious if anyone else has these problems and maybe agrees with me.

My pc is a:

Packard Bell Imedia 2412
2GB Ram
250GB HD
256mb 8400 Geforce Graphic Card

Woolwell 17:28 15 Sep 2008

Doubt if it is Vista but more likely a hardware fault or could be some other software conflict form a program that you have loaded.
However I would try to get a replacement.

chub_tor 21:07 15 Sep 2008

When you first got it and before you added extra software did it work OK? If so it's not the fault of Vista but of what you have added afterwards or a hardware fault that has occurred since purchase. Changing the motherboard is a good move, replacing the hard drive has obviously not improved the matter so checking the memory is the next logical step. Try running it with just one 1Gb at a time if you can. Memory is one of the most common causes of boot up crashes.

bell232 00:41 17 Sep 2008

Yes it worked fine for quite a few months but I'd had on the PC what basic software I'd needed with no problems for a few months before the problems started.
Now even with just bare essentials on the PC it still freezes but i reckon that's the motherboard now. Not sure how to just run 1GB at a time and have had a memory test run on it when the problems first accured and was told that memory was alright.

Is there any programs out there that can test the software and tell me if it might not be compatible with Vista maybe?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Android Oreo News: Release Date & New Features

11 must-have iMessage stickers packs by Jean Jullian, Christoph Niemann, Jon Burgerman & more

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Que faire en cas de vol ou perte de votre smartphone ?