Outlook.com storage email hoax or real?

tonyq 19:05 27 Sep 2014

I recently received the following email to my Inbox,from supposedly Outlook.com Clicking on "Click here" sends me to Google Drive, which says I don't have permission to view. Could this be legit? I ask because I thought I had 5gb storage and this as made me suspicious

Update‏

Update Actions
The Outlook.com Team ([email protected]) Add to contacts 26/09/2014

Documents My email address

Your mailbox has exceeded the storage limit is 1 GB, which is defined by the administrator, are running at 99.8 gigabytes, you can not send or receive new messages until you re-validate your mailbox.

To renew the mailbox,

click link below: click here

Thank you! Web mail system administrator!

WARNING! Protect your privacy. Logout when you are done and completely exit your browser.

rdave13 19:48 27 Sep 2014

I think it's a phishing scam. The Outlook.com Team ([email protected])? Don't add to your contacts, if you have then remove. Why should Outlook.com send you to Google Drive (15GB free storage) rather than to OneDrive?

Don't validate anything and send the mail to spam folder then delete.

northumbria61 21:04 27 Sep 2014

Tonyq - Worth Reading

lotvic 21:06 27 Sep 2014

since when has Microsoft Outlook.com used an aol email address.... [email protected] ?

c'mon you gotta LOL

Forum Editor 08:11 28 Sep 2014

lotvi is right - surely common sense should tell you that Microsoft would not use an aol email address?

tonyq 13:26 28 Sep 2014

Its easy to say,"Microsoft would not use an aol email address",after the event!. It looked so real even had the Outlook.com motif on the email. I had no need to inspect close up so I thought. I have deleted the email and informed Outlook,run virus checker, malwarebytes ect. Luckily I did not save to my contacts. I just hope that is the end of it. Thank you all for your help/advice.

wee eddie 14:03 28 Sep 2014

If you replied, it would make sense to change your Passwords asap

lotvic 15:35 28 Sep 2014

You can check if anyone else has been getting the same type of suspected phishing emails, select a sentence from the email and google it.

For example google: 'Your mailbox has exceeded the storage limit is 1 GB, which is defined by the administrator, are running at 99.8 gigabytes, you can not send or receive new messages until you re-validate your mailbox'

and you will quickly see that it is an old scam phishing email doing the rounds and has caught a few off-guard.

The safety rule is: Never click on a link in suspect emails.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone