OEM Version - reinstall, fixing problems

NotVeryTechie 16:36 01 Apr 2008

Hi there

I have seen on various posts that if you need to use your rescue disk (supplied with new Vista computer) that it reformats the HDD and all partitions. But what if you need to re-install Vista? Is there a way of doing this from the rescue disk without reformatting the whole drive? I don't need to do this at this point but I am worrying about it a lot. It was often necessary to reinstall earlier version of windows after using for a while, so I want to know how to do this before I have the need to do so.

anskyber 16:41 01 Apr 2008

It depends on your PC. Some have hidden restore partitions where you can take things back to the factory settings.

Which machine do you have?

anskyber 16:42 01 Apr 2008
  anskyber 17:00 01 Apr 2008

Or get this click here plus a cheap external HDD.

NotVeryTechie 17:05 01 Apr 2008

I have a Toshiba A200 laptop

anskyber 17:55 01 Apr 2008

Have a look at your handbook, it looks to me as if you have a Vista DVD, if so you will be able to do a start up repair using it.

click here

Your worries will be significantly reduced however by Acronis or something similar.

NotVeryTechie 09:21 02 Apr 2008

Hi anskyber, this is exactly the thing worrying me. According to what I have read it seems that if you boot from the DVD, then it will reformat your drive. That is the problem.

I don't know what Acronis is.

anskyber 09:32 02 Apr 2008

Acronis is an imaging program.

Put simply when all is well on your PC you "copy" an image of the whole PC. It does everything, the operating system all your programs and settings. Quite literally it takes the machine back to a perfect working order.

The image can be kept on DVDs or a partition on your HDD but the best way is to image to another drive like an external HDD.

sunny staines 12:24 02 Apr 2008

why can't big makers supply the oem disk to buyers, it would solve so much grief the backup disks are so limited.

NotVeryTechie 13:35 10 Apr 2008

Hi there

Any further thoughts on this? Any way to get around the reformatting issue?

ventanas 14:02 10 Apr 2008

If your DVD is what is termed a "Recovery Disc" and contains just an image of your system as it was when it left the factory, then you will lose everything, and your hard drive will be restored as new.

If it's a full Vista DVD then you will be able to use it to perform a repair of Vista without losing any data.

One of my laptops is a Toshiba, and it came with a DVD, but which type it is I don't know, because I use Acronis, as recommended earlier, and will hopefully never have to go near the disc.

My other laptop is a Dell, and the DVD that came with that contains both a link to a factory state image on my hard drive, and it is also a full Vista DVD. You may have to dig a bit to find out just what you have got. Try the Toshiba web site.

Why don't you just backup everything you need to keep and then use the disc to do whatever it does. Then get a copy of Acronis TrueImage click here and forget any problems.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?