OEM

Rossi#1 19:55 03 Feb 2007

Im sorry if this has been asked before but Im just finishing building a PC and wondered about buying an oem version from ccl.
What sort of support do you not get from M$? No upgrades or patches? Or just technical support.

djbenny 20:20 03 Feb 2007

you still et the patches and updates from microsoft i dont hink you tech support though as it woud be sold through anoter supplier that would give you the tech support

Rossi#1 20:23 03 Feb 2007

So its not illegal and as tech in training oem would be ok for me so long as I use it on the one PC?

Totally-braindead 20:24 03 Feb 2007

You get patches and updates as said but no support from Microsoft. This for me has never really been an issue as there lots of help on the web including here.
But the big difference with OEM is it dies with the PC it is on. When you get a new computer you will need to buy a new copy of Vista.

Totally-braindead 20:28 03 Feb 2007

Have a read of this thread click here it does appear to be a bit confusing.
Basically as long as its a new PC then theres no problem as long as you stick to that PC and don't try to put it on another one later on as then it will fail. Also have a read of this click here the reviewer mentions what happens if the authentication fails. That is what would happen if you installed OEM windows on one PC and then later on tried to install the same windows on another.

Rossi#1 20:39 03 Feb 2007

Thanks TB. That clears things up for me.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?