nvidia network adaptor

hello, i am thinking of putting vista ultima on my pc as a second o/s yo see how i get on, i have just ran m/s upgarde advisor, and there are a couple of program issues, that are not a rpoblem, but on hardware it says my network adaptor isnt compatible.
im quite new to computing and dont really understand this, is that a motherboard issue, the pc has vista ready stickers all over it?
spec:
compaq presario sr1909
HP 'NodusM-GL8E' motherboard
amd 64 3500+
2 gb ddr2
nvidia 7600gt
xp home sp2
thanks in advance
adam

anskyber 17:35 21 Feb 2007

It should say what your network adapter is? (the name) There are different types but usually it allows through an ethernet socket connection to say your modem router to allow for internet access or other network system click here

Can you give us more info on the upgrade advisors precise wording?

hi anskybar, after the scan its under devices, it says 'nvidia network controller' manufacturer 'nvidia' issue 'we have no compatibilty data for the device please contact manufacturer'
do they mean hp or nvidia?
pc is connected via ethernet, to bt home hub, i have never installed any drivers or installation software i just plugged it in and it worked

anskyber 17:58 21 Feb 2007

Can you go into device manager?

It's right click on the words "My Computer" in the start menu, select properties, then device manager. You should see network adapters in the list. Press the + next to it and let us know what is reported there.

anskyber 18:00 21 Feb 2007

PS they will mean NVIDIA who will have drivers for your device. HP may also have the drivers on their site.

when i click +, it opens 2 more lines
1394 net adaptor
nvidia gforce networking controller

thats exactly how it appears
hope that helps

so, is this important, ie the web, or is it just to connect my pc to others locally, which i dont need to do

anskyber 19:10 21 Feb 2007

The first looks like a firewire adaptor for any firewire kit you may have. click here This tends to be little used since the emergence of USB connections. So for Vista it may actually be unimportant unless you use it now.

The second is what people usually regard as the main network adaptor and I see you get your internet access through it. Mine just worked when I went over to Vista. I'll have a further hunt around for you but it could relate to the BT hub. Others here may help with the BT hub issue, I do not use BT.

thanks for your help, so it is my internet connection i have a problem with then, thats what network controller actually does? thanks again

anskyber 19:22 21 Feb 2007

You might want to have a lok around here. click here

cheers, will do, its doing my head in trying to take all this in, do i need 2 sets of drivers, are drivers on the o/s etc etc, so i think i'll just get it loaded and learn by my mistakes.
thanks again matey
adam

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?