Nvidia drivers

jacksony 11:11 27 Feb 2007

Dear PC Advisor forum people,

I have an NVIDIA(R) GeForce(TM) 7900 GS 256MB DDR (DVIx2/TV-out) graphics card in my desktop.

What's all this about Vista and DX10?

To start at the basics:

1) What is DX10?
2) Can GeForce(TM) 7900 handle DX10?
3) If it can't, what does that actually mean?

Thank you.

Kate B 11:21 27 Feb 2007

DX10 is the next-generation graphics engine. No, your 7900 won't do DX10. It means that while you will still be able to play games for the foreseeable - they will be backwards compatible with DX9 for a while to come - games will look much better with a DX10 card. Prices for those will come down. Nvidia's 8800 series will come down when ATI gets its cards out, which I believe is soon.

jacksony 12:57 27 Feb 2007

Thanks Kate,

Well seeing as I don't play games much (and when I do, I play the oldies like Empire Earth or Age of Empires), the old DX10 Mlarkey shouldn't bother me too much.

jacksony 12:59 27 Feb 2007

P.S. - Empire Earth or Age of Empires....yes it's sad, I know.

jacksony 13:27 27 Feb 2007

You might want to look here for information on Vista and DX10

click here

Just to make things interesting DX10 is not available for XP I know this is the Vista section but there are bound to be a few people looking to get the low down on Vista before they jump the XP ship. I have an MSI 8800GTX and internet game on a daily basis, I have no complaints except the usual ones regarding slightly suspect nVidia Forceware and the usual BSOD extra feature. The ATI X2900XTX is scheduled for release on the 30th of March the drivers a couple of weeks earlier, the GTS and GTX should go down in price then. The DX10 cards perform well in XP and my 8800 was in fact more stable running DX9 but as drivers improve so will performance. I would still recommend the jump to a DX10 card.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?