now vista install problem

sunny staines 12:40 17 Sep 2006

now that i have finally got vista to accept the key number the install starts till it gets to

"expanding files 0%..."

and it gets no further left it in this state for about an hour, the green line at the botton of the screen goes no further nor does the 0% increase the three ... after the percentage contine to go on and off.

any ideas please.

Jimmy14 13:20 17 Sep 2006

I had a similair problem when it was installing windows files it stayed on 0 for ages but the reason was because Norton was preventing the install connecting to a DNS server. What about your anti-virus or internet security software, did you disable it while installing Vista?

Forum Editor 15:59 17 Sep 2006

Any Hard drive activity?

sunny staines 20:38 17 Sep 2006

jimmy14 & FE

Vista is installing on a 2nd hard drive using the custom install. So i presume that all programs on the Ist hard drive would automatically be out of play as i had booted from the dvd.

sorry for late reply been visiting hosp.
Any other idea's please.

sunny staines 21:12 17 Sep 2006

jimmy14

I have norton 2005 nis & nsw apart from deleting them how do you turn them off. I tried the opion of turn on manually in option then disabled till restart. same problem with 0% in vista. then found when booted back to xp norton was enabled again.

i have quick refomatted the drive intended for vista but still at this sticking point.

sunny staines 21:13 17 Sep 2006

fe

the hdd is quiet during the sticking point

sunny staines 22:08 17 Sep 2006

found the option to turn off norton anti virus but makes no difference

Forum Editor 01:15 18 Sep 2006

you have booted from the DVD, and selected a second hard drive. Did you run the Vista compatibility checker on that drive?

If you did, were any problems flagged, and if there were, did you resolve them before running the installer?

When you wrote the DVD from the ISO file did you verify it in the writing software after completion?

You say that you have formatted the drive, and that the installer still sticks at the same point. This is an indication of a problem with the DVD - try writing another copy.

sunny staines 10:37 18 Sep 2006

fe

thank for the advice.

Is the vista compatibility checker the same as upgrade advisor if not where do i get it please.

upgrade advisor showed no probs with the hardware on the pc.
the dvd was burnt using nero6 copy&backup-burn image to dvd option and was verified.
i have downloaded vista again [glad i got fast bb] and have burn it with nero on a slower speed and will try the install again this evening and report back.

sunny staines 16:13 18 Sep 2006

after a fresh download and burn still same sticking point. Spent couple hours trawling the net then found that dozens of people are having numerous install problems, dvd players came up a lot.
So took the dvd out of my liteon dvd rw and placed it in an old dvd reader and the install went through ok.
well impressed with the internet speed it even configued my lynsky router for me.

most important thanks to all who offered help.

sunny staines 14:10 20 Sep 2006

Just met a colleage at work stuck with the exact same problem. suprise he too had a LITEON DVD RW.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?