No Sound after upgrade

Ram Rat 14:56 31 Mar 2007

Many of my sample files disappeared so I used my disc to upgrade as mentioned in another thread. Now I can't get the sound to work. The computer (DELL Dimension 9200) on device mamager shows the sound card and states device working properly but the speaker icon is dulled out and a red cross next to it. Tried re installing, rebooting etc. but no luck. Checked Microsoft site no luck at the moment. Sound card is Sigma Tel High Definition.

Any help would be appreciated.

Jimmy14 15:43 31 Mar 2007

Have you downloaded and install and windows updates. Usually the sound driver for windows may come through this. Mines did.

Jimmy14 15:43 31 Mar 2007

*downloaded and installed windows updats via the windows update program in control panel*

Jimmy14 15:44 31 Mar 2007

3rd time lucky,

*updates*

Ram Rat 16:11 31 Mar 2007

Thanks for the suggestion but have tried it already. I have also downloaded a file from Microsoft KB929685 but states this doesn't apply to my system. There appears to be a problem with the sound on Vista reading the forum at Microsoft.

Ashrich 23:03 01 Apr 2007

click here for an answer to your problem , the solution should be with Dell , have a look at their website for new drivers .

Ashley

Ram Rat 08:58 02 Apr 2007

Thanks Ashrich I Already have been on the Dell site and eventually found the answer, but still encountered some other problems, however, I am now able to hear what's going on. Thanks again for the useful link.

Mike

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?